Finding our people - tips?
Posted by

Hi everyone -

I'm new here. Have been reading through the site and various groups and forums, and am still trying to figure out how use this resource most effectively. 

I've been working with a couple of friends on building a website, Dismantle Magazine. Our goal is to bring together the work of professional scholars, activists, and creative types with college students and recent grads to create a sort of cultural studies incubator, and interesting, accessible cultural criticism (topics range from Rogue One to kid lit to the history of dieting to 90s fashion). It's still very new, and we need to work on our big picture mission and voice, but our idea is to create a "framework for doing rather than a site for telling." 

We're happy with the site so far, and the material we've been able to generate...especially considering I'm the main person keeping it going and I have 3 "real" jobs. This is our "side project." Our main focus so far has just been making it an actual thing and proving to ourselves that we could keep it going.

What I'd love to learn, discuss, hear from y'all about is finding our people. None of us are especially social media savvy, and so far our whole "strategy" has just been Facebook. How have you used social media? How do you sift through the noise on Twitter to make it really useful? What other things have you done to spread the word?

And how have you found shewrites most helpful? It seems like an amazing resource, but a bit overwhelming.

Also, who should I follow?

I am @dismantlemag (twitter) and Dismantle Magazine (Facebook)

Thanks for reading! 

Replies
  • Thanks, Laurie! This is really helpful. I've added Hootsuite to my to-do list. And I've never done a chat - your tips are so useful. Going to respond more via email when I have more time, but wanted to say thank you for this response. I don't quite know the etiquette yet, but the "plug" seems totally appropriate to me :)

• I'd recommend downloading the free version of Hootsuite and using it to listen to conversations until you find people and hashtags you think are interesting and might enjoy your content. I'd also recommend going to chats - this is a great way to get to know people and gain followers. If you want to get even more strategic you can work on setting up mutual promotional relationships with colleagues working on similar things to you. 

I'm running a chat on women's poetry this Wednesday at 5pm GMT - the audience will really like your magazine. Follow #women_writers on Twitter to take part or if it's your first chat you can check out my tutorial on how to get the most out of it: http://womenwritersschool.com/twitter-chat-tips/

Really hope that plug for my own event is allowed!