Characters Surround Us
Posted by

I love character development, but just how far can a writer take things? We have to careful not to cross an invisible line into liable, but I don't live in a vacuum. I can't help but take in the world around me. For example, that woman at work, the one who appears sweet and even a little bumbling, but has a hair trigger that releases a razor tongue filled temper tantrum. I mean, she's a walking antagonist!

Living with a vivid imagination is not always easy, but this is so easy. Just push lightly on her fragile onion skin and her eyes turn black, her lips pull back and her teeth elongate into fangs dripping molten drool. She's a freakin' dragon.

But I must be careful. Still, that rip in her personality is too good to pass up. So I wrap her in scales, give her gorgeous dragon wings, and reverse engineer a reason for that vicious anger. That's better. Besides this woman has no idea who I really am; I'm just that stupid, old, fool (expect she used a more vile word than fool) who doesn't deserve an ounce of respect. But I have her now. That kernel of her truth buried deep inside where I can bend her to my will, force her to do horrific things, only to expose her for what she truly is in the end. Waa-Ha-Ha.

Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental ...