You need to read...
Posted by
Who are the multicultural writers that you are bursting to tell the world about? Share their books here!
Replies
  • Well, you need to read my book, "Next Stop: Sejer Island" and I promise you a good read and culture, it's all over my stories - I will also promise you a good time. Please go to Amazon.com or whatever online bookstore that you prefer if you want to buy it.

Danes who write in English aren't given many chances - so having a book out there is one thing - but having an English speaking audience, well, that's another and new thing.

Please be Multi Cultural and buy it.

• No problem, Rebecca, I love talking about brilliant writers. =)

As for Maxine Hong Kingston and Linda Sue Park, read their works when you get the chance. You won't regret the time spent!

My Reply Button works fine, I guess ... if this reply gets out ok.

Cheers.

• Hi, Rebecca--

I've been reading a lot of memoirs by Iranian women writers.  Some of the non-fiction that deals with the issues of being part of both Western and Iranian cultures are To See and See Again by Tara Bahrampoor; Let Me Tell You Where I've Been: New Writing by Women of the Iranian Diaspora, ed. by Persis M. Karim; Lipstick Jihad and Honeymoon in Tehran by Azadeh Moaveni; Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas;  Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafici; and the essay, "Souvenir," by Manijeh Nasrabadi, which appeared in the anthology,About Face: Women Write About What The See When They Look in the Mirror, ed. by Anne Burt and Christina Baker Cline.  Another writer who has his feet firmly in both worlds is Hooman Majd, the author of The Ayatollah Begs to Differ.

• Thanks for answering, Claudine! We need more people to talk with about who to read. I haven't read either of those writers. Can't wait to hear about your projects, work, etc.

I tried to use the "Reply" button, but there was a weird error. Is anyone else having problems?

• Hi, I love Maxine Hong Kingston! I've read her 'The Woman Warrior' and 'The Fifth Book of Peace' and her voice is pure earth's fluids. It flows that smoothly, that honestly.

I also like Linda Sue Park, who writes YA fiction. Her novel 'When My Name Was Keoko' is especially haunting.

I guess when it comes to multicultural writing, it isn't about how brilliant the plot burns, but the voice. The two writers mentioned here have the most amazingly honest voices.