Suite101/Hub Pages/Helium/Demand Studios
Posted by

I'm curious if anyone here ever worked for one of these sites, and if they are worth pursuing.

Replies
  • I actually heard about Demand Studios a few days ago from my workshop instructor who said turnaround time for articles is 24 hours but if you can knock them out in an hour, that's great. Not a way to get rich, but great for those just starting out and/or looking to build clips.
  • Hi Kim,

Do you know about Ezine articles? Do they pay. I received something in my email from them.

Thanks,

• Hi Jessica,

I wanted to know if you were familiar with Suites 101 agreement policy regarding online media? It may be self explanatory but I wanted to be clear, that they only wanted the media rights to articles that you write for them correct? I read something online that prompted me to ask this question and I just wanted to make sure. Actually anyone who has some experience with online writing can answer this question as well.

Thanks so much,

• Judith, Kim, Lydia, and Ivana-thank you so much for sharing your experiences and insights with me!  I think I'm going to start wtih Hub Pages for now and then apply at Suite 101.  I just posted my first article with Type-A-Parent and will have another article published with Ezine Articles.  I have ideas of the niches I like to focus on but am open to try other areas as well.  I'm also contemplating on perhaps creating one or two blogs (in addition to the ones I have) and monetizing them.  
  • For the past year and a half, I've been writing for Demand Studio and Helium. Helium gave me a great start in online writing, but I am shifting most of my energies to DS--the pay is much better, and the guidelines are clearer. As with all writing sites, it takes a while to get established, but for me, DS is worth the time! I'm looking at other sites as well. Helium has made some drastic changes to their upfront/exclusivity policies, so you may want to review their new policies before you sign up.

I've also written for Examiner and Hub Pages, but found it difficult to make money there. I may give it another try, though. Hope this helps!

• Hi Carrie! My first experiences were with Associated Content and Textbrokers. I worked the most for Associated Content  at first, which was great for me because I had no idea what people wanted to read. There was a list from which you could choose, and that made it easier for me to break in. I was warned ahead of time sometimes they editors will send it back for many edits or not accept at all, but I didn't run into that except when I sumitted an article about shopping on Black Friday a week before and mid-December I got an email telling me it was time sensitive so I could submit but not get paid. And getting paid not very much per click was a downside. Textbroker is an easy site to write for-you write an essay for them and they grade you (I think 1-5), and you must score at least a 3 to write. You can choose from several areas of interest, and you write at the level the company requests. So if they say they want a specific phone coverage ad writter at level 3, you won't make as much as if you had a 4. Obviously the material becomes theirs. I just joined Studio 101 and with all the other projects I'm working on, I really don't have anything to share. Honestly, I felt like I was spending a lot of time, gaining a lot of experience, but making very little. I found The Renegade Writer and am also reading through Peter Bowerman's work, which basically states you can be making much more doing this same work. I will say, and I have heard from others, certain sites are notorious for not paying, which has become frustrating. I think you just kind of put yourself out there, you will learn what you really enjoy, and plan from there,
  • I'm currently writing for Suite101 and Demand Studios. I like both of them, but they both have their downsides too. Suite101 is great because you have the freedom to write whatever you want, but like others have said, it takes a long time and lots of work before you will make a good amount of money. Demand Studios, on the other hand, pays you up front, but there is less freedom and it was difficult to find an assignment that I thought I could write well. I did have to rewrite my first article, I didn't mind because the editor's suggestions really did help improve it. I think I'll probably end up sticking with both and I would definitely recommend writing for either or both of these sites.
  • Carrie I am glad the blog helped.

When I first applied to Suite101, I only had a few articles in my portfolio from Examiner.com. It has been quite awhile since I applied, but if I remember correctly (big IF) I believe you mention where you have published articles and then provide some unpublished samples for review. I know that they just re-evaluated their application process so that may have changed.

Take a look at the format of their articles and try to have one set up according to their guidelines. As long as your writing is good, than I am sure you have a chance. They always give everyone a decent look.

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything.

• Your blog post was a wonderful help-thank you!  No, I'm not expecting fast cash but would like to build something with my writing.  At this point, I'm leaning towards Suite101 and Hub Pages to start with.  I have a few articles published with Ezine Articles, and in the process of writing a few additional articles in various niches.  I'm not sure if I'll have these published on Ezine Articles or just hold for sample purposes.  I enjoy writing and desire to help others through my writing.  Should I try building up my portfolio/samples before applying to Suite101?