She Writes Press News: We've signed our first author!

We want to congratulate Judith Newton, author of The Joys of Cooking, for being the first author to sign with She Writes Press.

The Joys of Cooking: A Love Story is the history of a woman’s emotional education, the romantic tale of a marriage between a straight woman and a gay man, and an exploration of the ways in which cooking  can lay the groundwork not only for personal healing and familial relation, but for political community as well. Organized by decade and by the cookbooks that shaped author Judith Newton’s life, it sensuously evokes the cuisines, cultural spirit, and politics of the 1940s through 2011, complete with recipes.

“Unlike so many food memoirs, this elegantly written work (thankfully) veers from saccharine references to idyllic childhood. Newton has completely taken us by surprise. There's a sense of tension, of expectation, of waiting for the other shoe to drop that creates a subliminal buzz. Her vibrant writing has energy and momentum, and through her personal story, she manages to weave in the entire course of the culture, a reflection of her skills as an historian and an accomplished writer as well as a born storyteller.” 
---Jeanette Ferrary, author of Out of the Kitchen: Adventures of a Food Writer and M.F.K. and Me

Judith Newton, Professor Emerita and longtime director of Women and Gender Studies at U.C. Davis, is the author and coeditor of books on women writers, feminist criticism, women and history, and men’s movements. She blogs at iPinion.us.

Tags: Cooking, Joys, Judith, Newton, Press, She, The, Writes, authors, of

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations, Brooke, Kamy, and especially Judith Newton. My instincts tell me this is an auspicious beginning.

Lynn

www.writeradvice.com

Author of You Want Me to Do WHAT? Journaling for Caregiver

Thank you so much, Lynn. I think it is too!

Congratulations to Judith!! This is wonderful news!

Wow! Great news! I love Judith. We both blog at iPinion and she's so sassy & wonderful. This is just so very wonderful! Brava all around...

Love the concept but I'm not sure the content is conveyed by the title.

Congratulations SheWrites and to your first author, Judith Newton. May the tide of change (in the industry) keep you sailing.

Thank you all, for your good wishes!  An old editor of mine at a University Press said that the emergence of She Writes Press was the best news she'd had all week.  

Anne, I'd like to hear more about the title and content issue. You can email me at jlnewton@ucdavis.edu if you like. Thank you.

Congratulations to Judith and to SWP! 

Thank you, Elizabeth!

Congratulations!! I just sent my submission yesterday!

@Karoline. Wonderful! Thanks so much.

RSS

Latest Activity

Mayra Calvani posted a blog post

Profile: Donna Galanti, Author of ‘A Human Element’

Donna Galanti writes murder and mystery as well as middle grade adventure fiction. She is an International Thriller Writers Debut Author of the paranormal suspense novel …See More
53 minutes ago
Hema Nair posted a blog post

The Art of Creative Re-Writing.

The Art of Creative Re-Writing. awriterinwonderland@blogpost.comhttp://I have been thinking about a recent post in This Itch of Writing by Emma Darwin, one of my top favorite…See More
3 hours ago
Maryann Raccosta posted a blog post

My Dad

Anger to Acceptance My Dad was taken from this world in 1975. A fatal heart attack took him from us while we were on vacation.  He was 44 years old. When I think back and contemplate this moment, as I often still do, I think of what I have learned…See More
3 hours ago
Zetta Brown liked Katie Woodzick's blog post Claiming the Name of Writer
4 hours ago

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Kamy Wicoff.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service