Why should you make She Writes your online writerly home? As the founder of She Writes and as a woman who spends a lot of her time with writers and in the world of publishing, I have seen a lot of online offerings for writers. Here are five things that set She Writes apart from the rest.
1) Community. Most websites for writers provide information and tips, but have not created a community where you can get to know other writers, make meaningful connections that lead directly to opportunities to network and publish, get support and encouragement for your work, and post your own writing for others to read. She Writes makes all those things possible by supporting unique pages for each of its members, providing the technology for members to start their own groups based on shared interests, and allowing members to friend one another and share their work. Writers need community in order to flourish, and from day one that has been the heart and soul of what we do.
2) Quality. Since the self-publishing revolution exponentially expanded the world of publishing, many businesses and "experts" have appeared on the scene offering goods and services to writers that are poor quality at best and exploitative at worst. I saw this firsthand when I attempted to hire a publicist for my first book in 2006--there were a lot of predatory opportunists out there looking to make a buck off a newbie writer with dreams of a bestseller! That is why, from the day She Writes opened its virtual doors, we have placed a commitment to quality above all else. You will find that in the content we run on the She Writes blog, in our newsletter, and, importantly, in the top-notch, carefully vetted experts--from editors to coaches--that we offer all our members through She Writes Press. (You can work with our editors, proofreaders and coaches even if you....)
3) Inspiration. Writing can be a lonely business. But as I found while working on my last book (Wishful Thinking, a novel), it is much less lonely when you have the wind of almost 28,000 She Writers at your back. I blogged my way through writing the book, and at each phase I got incredible feedback, support, and information from the members of this knowledgeable and generous community. You can, too. When you are feeling discouraged, stuck, or just plain lost, She Writes is a well you can always draw from for encouragement, wise words, and inspiration from those who have been there before.
4) Platform (for you to use!). These days, writers are told they must all have a preexisting "platform", or publishers will be unlikely to acquire their books. But how is an individual writer just starting out supposed to create an audience for herself? And if she is spending all her time attempting to build a following on social media and elsewhere, how is she supposed to find the time to actually write? She Writes is committed to sharing its stage with all its members, giving them an opportunity to access the community and build a following on the powerful platform we have created. If you are interested in becoming a regular contributor to the She Writes blog, click here.
5) A Path to Publishing. Responding to an urgent need she saw in the writing community, Brooke Warner had the vision to create a third-way publishing company that would leverage She Writes' industry-wide reputation for quality while trail-blazing a new model for publishing. To learn more about the incredible innovations and opportunities available through She Writes Press, click here. For one of the best blogs in the business about publishing, read Brooke Warner, who knows the landscape better than anybody and writes not only about alternative publishing, but about the industry at large.
Are there other things you think distinguish She Writes from other online resources for writers? Please share them here! And while you're at it, don't keep She Writes to yourself. Invite a friend to join today.