Ingram Spark vs. CreateSpace: A case study
Posted by

I do not yet have the final proofs to compare the printing of Ingram Spark and CreateSpace editions of "Confessions of a Golf Slut" side by side. But I can explain why (and how) I've decided to use both, and share a few tips for like-minded publishers and writers.

1. CreateSpace is much more user-friendly in every way. It guides the user through the process gently, which means one might make more mistakes and take longer through the proofing process than with Ingram Spark, which won't approve a title if it finds one measly little error.
  2. I am a little worried that my Ingram Spark cover might be a bit off and it seems I might have to pay $25 to resubmit it. Or maybe I misunderstand their proofing process -- which, frankly, is a bit confusing, but then, see Note No. 1. CreateSpace has a lot more experience in this niche.
  3. I had browser issues uploading with both companies. So I would just try Firefox, then Explorer, then Chrome, until something worked. Explorer probably was the most successful, Firefox probably the least.
  4. I have seen three proofs of my book so far with CreateSpace and have not seen a perfect cover yet, even though we used the template. The spine has not been centered yet.
  5. During the proofing process, CreateSpace added the matte cover option, perhaps to better compete with Ingram Spark. I think I will prefer it to laminate.
  6. It costs nothing to set up a title with CreateSpace, $49 with Ingram Spark (plus $12 annual maintenance fee).
  7. The royalty for a book retailing at $16.95 on CreateSpace: $5.70 if sold through Amazon, $2.31 if sold through other channels. The royalty for that book if sold through Ingram Spark: $2.80. So if I sell 100 books at Ingram Spark, I've paid off my $49 and will make 49 cents more per book thereafter than I would via CreateSpace.

I've read complaints about Amazon's relationship with Lightning Source/Ingram Spark, along with complaints that booksellers hate Amazon and, by extension, CreateSpace. So I decided to use CreateSpace if only to collect that bigger royalty (with probably better service) via its parent company Amazon, and to use Ingram Spark for wider distribution.

I also will use CreateSpace for its more favorable pricing on my own copies -- $4.47 per copy plus about 50 cents per book standard shipping or $1 expedited, if you're ordering 25 books or more. For that same 25-book shipment, Ingram Spark will charge me $4.89 for each book (its bulk pricing kicks in at 100 books) plus about $1 a book standard shipping.

If I order 50 books through Ingram Spark, I will get my $49 setup fee back. Since those books will cost me just $21 more than they would via CreateSpace's publisher pricing, I will surely do that.

Next up: ebook files!

Replies
  • Thank you for the info! (And Martin hopefully it was understood that by "amateurs," I meant those who are printing a book without hiring editors and designers, most likely to give away or use to promote their other more professional pursuits. As opposed to those who are printing a book to sell it to readers.) 300 pages, I believe the spine was .775 -- your reply makes me optimistic that we will get the problems resolved, fingers crossed. Meanwhile, it is nice to have extra proofing time for one more look-through! The serial comma, ugh!
  • Good that you requested paper copies to examine. I've had occasional problems, but I can usually spot them with the online digital proofer, and figure how to solve the issues. 

I was originally hesitant to trust POD, but I've done over 50 titles with them, and found their printing quality to be as good as the several short-run printers that I had been using. 

In order for them to do what they have to do (print one copy in a hurry) explains a lot of why they really insist on specifics. And I'm sure they're as concerned as you are about how things went off the rails. 

Their setup is good enough for a single or a few books (review copies mainly), but if I find sales taking off, then it's time to switch to a regular printer for quantity. 

The big advantage I see in CreateSpace is that I can send in a completely new interior file or cover, wait a few days, with no cost whatsoever. If I find typos on a book that's been up for a year (just happened), I make the changes and send it on. 

As for the spine, was it a small book with a narrow spine? I've had to re-adjust spine point size at their insistence, so they certainly look at that issue. 

• The latter. It is their job to report what is "up and coming" in the business and help acquisitions editors spot trends. To do that the books must be new when the magazine goes to print, not when they receive the book. This is the number one reason to make galleys.

• I'm not sure I discern the difference(s) between amateurs and others, and I'm also uncomfortable with the implication that something of doubtful or even awful quality is ok for amateurs, but not for those of us in the higher classes.

But I don't mean to provoke a dispute, and apology right now if I come across as hostile.  I've previously set Create Space aside because they can't handle a wide picture book.  Unless one wants to turn the book 45 degrees to open like a calendar, which is all awkward and cuts out the capability to have a double spread illustration, but that's what they suggested as a sufficient compromise!  And where IngramSpark is concerned, at this moment I'm wondering why they have not responded about the CMYK book file I uploaded Monday.  Maybe they are busy.  Well, patience. 

• Major bummer. This would really make me nervous to use createspace. I wouldn't want my name going out on a book that the cover is off.

• I am going to have to update my post with results from what I thought was a fifth and final round of proofing with CreateSpace. Five copies arrived on Monday evening and three were HORRIBLE. I would return them, there was a quarter inch of spine spilling on the cover. I would be so embarrassed if someone ordered my book and got this. I mean, did any human being even LOOK at them before shipping? So, I called in a panic. (My release date, Nov. 22, and so I had 400 press releases set up to go the next day.) The rep said, we'll have to refer this to tech support, so please send us photos and details and someone will get back to you within 24 hours. I spent an hour on my submission. No one got back to me within 24 hours. After about 36 hours I got an email saying that my case was being referred to Tech support and I should hear from someone in one to two days. Panic now! Obviously, Nov. 22 is no longer my release date. But, with a holiday next week, how long would I have to delay? So I call and a rep tries to soothe me by saying my case is in the tech support queue and I should hear from someone today. Meanwhile, I still haven't received the proof I ordered from Ingram Spark 10 days ago. I am starting to feel these outfits are both for amateurs. More to come, I am sure...
  • My hunch is that the Wisconsin connection with you, yourself, is a major factor here.

I've also decided, based on our limited experience, that the personal element is invaluable...when the author is right there to present the book, even if not to read it aloud...and copies are at hand that people can see and buy.  

If only one could easily travel to key places from coast to coast for public appearances, because it does seem that many independent bookshops would be welcoming.

I'm still working to understand the rules and practices of various periodicals when it comes to their willingness to review a book.  Or CONSIDER doing a review, or even a brief note.  I have so far not found any which specify they require having the book months before the publication date.  They do appear to say, or imply, that if one HOPES for a timely review, coincident with the release date, the book should get to them with months to spare.  And I see that many specify they only review books which are "current," meaning, I think, they are not enthusiastic for one to go back and submit a book that was published three years ago.

I may be all wet with this prediction, but I think book buyers will return to the good old habit of going into shops to browse, and to buy, leaving the Internet to e-books, and not being particularly influenced by the glut of websites and blogs and social media.  Am I predicting with any foundation or only expressing a personal hope...???

• There are a few others but they are all in Wisconsin.

It isn't that I don't know who has them, it's I don't know why the libraries purchased them - was it a review, a patron asking for it...

• Who distributes your book, Christine?  You mention not being sure if any libraries purchased it.  You have no way to know which ones bought it?

Are you familiar with worldcat.org ?  It is easy to find out which, if any, public libraries have a given title.  From what I see via a brief check, the only library that has some of your books is in Madison.

• I had my audio book reviewed by Library Review (and it had to be done before I put it out there to the public, though I had the paper book out already) and got a good review from it but I'm not sure that convinced any libraries to pick it up. I think they just have so many books to choose from, it's hard for them to pick up an unknown.