Ingram Spark vs. CreateSpace: A case study
Posted by

I do not yet have the final proofs to compare the printing of Ingram Spark and CreateSpace editions of "Confessions of a Golf Slut" side by side. But I can explain why (and how) I've decided to use both, and share a few tips for like-minded publishers and writers.

1. CreateSpace is much more user-friendly in every way. It guides the user through the process gently, which means one might make more mistakes and take longer through the proofing process than with Ingram Spark, which won't approve a title if it finds one measly little error.
  2. I am a little worried that my Ingram Spark cover might be a bit off and it seems I might have to pay $25 to resubmit it. Or maybe I misunderstand their proofing process -- which, frankly, is a bit confusing, but then, see Note No. 1. CreateSpace has a lot more experience in this niche.
  3. I had browser issues uploading with both companies. So I would just try Firefox, then Explorer, then Chrome, until something worked. Explorer probably was the most successful, Firefox probably the least.
  4. I have seen three proofs of my book so far with CreateSpace and have not seen a perfect cover yet, even though we used the template. The spine has not been centered yet.
  5. During the proofing process, CreateSpace added the matte cover option, perhaps to better compete with Ingram Spark. I think I will prefer it to laminate.
  6. It costs nothing to set up a title with CreateSpace, $49 with Ingram Spark (plus $12 annual maintenance fee).
  7. The royalty for a book retailing at $16.95 on CreateSpace: $5.70 if sold through Amazon, $2.31 if sold through other channels. The royalty for that book if sold through Ingram Spark: $2.80. So if I sell 100 books at Ingram Spark, I've paid off my $49 and will make 49 cents more per book thereafter than I would via CreateSpace.

I've read complaints about Amazon's relationship with Lightning Source/Ingram Spark, along with complaints that booksellers hate Amazon and, by extension, CreateSpace. So I decided to use CreateSpace if only to collect that bigger royalty (with probably better service) via its parent company Amazon, and to use Ingram Spark for wider distribution.

I also will use CreateSpace for its more favorable pricing on my own copies -- $4.47 per copy plus about 50 cents per book standard shipping or $1 expedited, if you're ordering 25 books or more. For that same 25-book shipment, Ingram Spark will charge me $4.89 for each book (its bulk pricing kicks in at 100 books) plus about $1 a book standard shipping.

If I order 50 books through Ingram Spark, I will get my $49 setup fee back. Since those books will cost me just $21 more than they would via CreateSpace's publisher pricing, I will surely do that.

Next up: ebook files!

Replies
  • There are printers everywhere.  Books can be printed either in what is typically a cheaper way, on a machine that is nothing more (or less) than a fancy color copier, and they can be done offset.  There can always be issues with many elements; materials for paper and covers, lamination, adhesive, sewing, color quality, much more.  

Several printers have been endorsed in these comments, and I appreciate this.  I am looking into several.  I'm also convinced that too many printers have scant respect for authors and illustrators, and only want to flatter and get as much money as they can manage, from selling you more books than you need.  The beautiful thing here is that while each copy might cost less if you buy in quantity, there is no significant NEED to buy in quantity unless you know full well you can sell them in a minute.  Or two.  In other words, you can always buy more.

• Susan, I would go with a brick and mortar printer. Most any printer now a  days does POD, And with a printing company if they books are flawed, you can send them back and get reimbursed. I have used Publishers Graphics out of Chicago and have had very little problems with the hundreds of books they have printed for me. They are also just an email or phone call away if I have any questions. They are at pubgraphics.com and you can use their online quote system to get a price for your books before you decide to have any printed. Or perhaps there is someone closer to where you live. I'd check around if I were you.

• Let me add, SWPers should appreciate that Thomson-Shore is employee-owned. McNaughton & Gunn are both ecologically aware and have been voted Best Workplace. DeHarts is "local" for me, in California.

• Susan, I've had occasion over the past 20+ years with several short-run printers (often a minimum of 300 copies): Thomson-Shore, McNaughton & Gunn, DeHart's Media. I certainly would use CreateSpace or other POD printers for review copies, or proof copies, but if you find a demand for your title, then it's time to switch. No need for another ISBN, or calling it a different edition. Printers print what you give them. 

• Sigh, an experience that we share with you.  And a printer who had the nerve to call it "a hiccup."  With the suggestion that if we pay a little more, he can fix it.  We never for an instant raised questions about the necessary cost, but innocent as we are, thought it was enough, and clear, to say we wanted books we could be proud to have people see, hold, acquire.  (In our case, a full color picture book.)

While it obviously has its drawbacks, maybe the only option is to do the fulfillment yourself, as we do with Amazon Marketplace.  Then we know what the buyer gets, because we personally take the book and package it and mail it.  IF a responsible outfit exists, be it called a distributor, bookstore, dealer, etc., how grand that would be.  I wonder if we could call upon SheWrites.com to have two lists, and only one of them be for companies that are safe bets for authors with reasonable quality standards, much more than dreams of glory and wealth.

• I tried to reply a half hour ago, and all that took was the first letter!  Attempting again, in short, as an angry person who is finding that ALL PRINTERS seem to believe self-publishing authors are vain idiots with money to burn, and they care not at all about the quality of their work.  If the printing IS acceptable, that's sort of an accidental gift.  

But meanwhile, ALL PRINTERS seem wonderful at flattering you, excusing their screwups, wanting to persuade you to spend more, especially if they can suggest the mess, the wreck, is YOUR fault.  

I don't think we are going to get it, but what we need is a high class not for profit service, maybe with educational and public service objectives in order to qualify for not for profit tax status, something of a cooperative nature, too...which will serve authors with printing and intelligent distribution work.  Am I being totally unrealistic, or only partly?

Meanwhile, even long established outfits such as Ingram--probably behaving even more shabbily because they have a reputation as being both fine and necessary--make one want to hold one's nose.

• I tried to reply a half hour ago, and all that took was the first letter!  Attempting again, in short, as an angry person who is finding that ALL PRINTERS seem to believe self-publishing authors are vain idiots with money to burn, and they care not at all about the quality of their work.  If the printing IS acceptable, that's sort of an accidental gift.  

But meanwhile, ALL PRINTERS seem wonderful at flattering you, excusing their screwups, wanting to persuade you to spend more, especially if they can suggest the mess, the wreck, is YOUR fault.  

I don't think we are going to get it, but what we need is a high class not for profit service, maybe with educational and public service objectives in order to qualify for not for profit tax status, something of a cooperative nature, too...which will serve authors with printing and intelligent distribution work.  Am I being totally unrealistic, or only partly?

Meanwhile, even long established outfits such as Ingram--probably behaving even more shabbily because they have a reputation as being both fine and necessary--make one want to hold one's nose.

• Carol, I will return the books. Meanwhile, I will not have any. So it is just not a thing I want to have to expect. And I worry about what customers are getting if they do not order from me.
  • Interesting that neither source delivered a good consistent quality product.  Are there any product guarantees on either of these?  You could have the shops price them at a 'sale' price I suppose... if you can cover your costs plus make a little profit, that could be an option.