Camp NaNoWriMo - April 2013
Posted by

Anyone else participating in Camp NaNoWriMo in April?  

Replies
  • Hey now! 10K is still a goal and that means its a good one, especially if you're posting them as a serial on the web! :) (As I would assume that would mean more editing, which is something I won't be doing until afterwards) 

• I signed up but it remains to be seen if my course load will give me the time. here's hoping so!

• I plan on participating as well.  My goal is to write at least 10k for my current web serial.  It's not a big goal, I know.

• To combat my project-hopping problem (and therefore never actually finishing projects), I decided that once I started a ms only those words would count towards the 365K.  Part of me really wants to temporarily bend the rule and write in both, but then I go back to the original purpose behind the rule and can't/don't want to double dip. 

True, on the splitting between the projects and the spirit of NaNo.  I might make a goal that would catch me up to where I "should be" on my 365K at the end of April.  Right now that math is making my head spin though! 

I got the idea for 365K half from NaNoWriMo (about setting quantifiable goals/deadlines) and half from reading somewhere that some famous writer wrote 1,000 words per day (obviously I respected the writer enough to remember the number but not his name...).  Since my schedule lends itself to spurts (and am so not good at consistent scheduling), it made sense to make it 365K. 

• Why can't you split? That's what my NaNo mentor did and still clocked her 50K words. Does that violate the letter of the law? - maybe. Does it violate the spirit? Nah.

BTW I love the idea of writing 365K. Are you counting everything you write toward that goal?

• I really the adjustable word count "feature" of Camp (vs November).  ...Good idea on finishing a project!

In a way, I wish I could split the word count between 2 projects/ms.  I'm so close to finishing one project and I probably won't get through it before April 1, but I've made a personal goal this year not to start a new ms before finishing the previous solid one. (I have a [very] serious "start-a-good-project and not finish because I get distracted by a new idea" problem) I was going to use Camp to catch up on my overall goal for the year (write 365K total)... Ah, my issues/hair-brained ideas that will take up too much space (and go off topic)... 

Good luck with your 35K! :)

• Well, I only need 35K words to get to 70K on my YA novel ms, so I'm doing 35K. I know the 50K is possible, I did it in Nov 2012, but I don't need to do it right now. I do NEED to get this ms done!!

• Are you going for 50K or did you decide to make another goal?  I'm torn between pushing myself to the traditional 50K (technically possible) or settling with a more realistic but lower goal.