Portland area critique group?
Posted by

Good evening!

I am getting back to writing again and need a mid to high level critique group that meets on a regular basis. Genre is not important but dedication is. I've been in some wonderful groups, but people have moved in the last two years. I tried to continue with them via Skype, but that wasn't as effective.

I published 5 Regencies in the 1990s (as Mary Chase Comstock) and released a Kindle mystery last year --The Fool's Journey.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mary

Replies
  • I haven't discussed this with Mitchell -- he might like this.  He is stuck on the history mystery, and I would be working (now) on the death death death book.

• I think we will need one more person for balance if you can think of anyone. I'll keep looking, too.

• Also, we can meet at our studio, in NW Portland.  28th and Burnside is about 10 minutes, as are you Mary.  We have two conference rooms one with a big table one with a small table.  But I am open to going elsewhere also.

• That sounds good -- I think a group of four would be best if you know of anyone else. I will be writing a sequel to a novel, so I can send you an e-copy from Amazon if you send an email address. 

I am in Raleigh Hills so we are about 7 miles apart I think ... not so bad.

• I live near SE 28th & E Burnside.

I would have a lot to learn, but I'm willing to try it out.  Would it work for each of us to bring something along different lines, i.e. your novel and my poetry?  

• Thanks, Melissa. I wouldn't call your writing "novice" -- I teach writing so I know what a real novice is :) I write poetry too. For critique, I am interested in working toward further mass market publication. Does that appeal to you? What part of town are you in?

• Hi Mary, and welcome to the group!

I wouldn't mind being in a critique group about once per month, but I'm not mid to high level in my writing.  More of a novice.  I mainly write poetry and prose.  You can check out some of my writing at http://www.realityspace.wordpress.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Be well,

Melissa