Tell Us About Yourself...
Posted by

First off, welcome!

So glad to have you here and meet fellow authors inundated with all it takes to self-publish.  I know it's not the same struggle as for Indie-published authors and hope that, together, we can help each other become the successes we want to be.

That being said, why don't you go ahead an introduce yourself?  Tell us what you've done in the past, what you're working on, and what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Your strength may be another's weakness.

Replies
  • Hi, nice to be here, I've just joined She Writes and am finding my way around.  I live in England.

In January I self-published a little book, an introduction to personal transformation, at first only available through me.  I'm working on the first revision which I plan to put out through Amazon, book distributors etc (more about that in the other discussion thread).  I've always intended to 'be a writer', and I've always used writing in my various jobs.  It feels very good, poised on threshold of 50, to also be poised at the beginning of what I've always wanted to be!

I'm working on a concept of combining fiction with transformational exercises - a fantasy journey which can also be a personal journey.

I've taught myself to manipulate photos, create illustrations and lay out pages, working in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, and I can build websites using WordPress.  I'm not necessarily polished, I have fun with it all.

Biology and evolution are fascinations of mine, too.

Weaknesses - the business side of things, I guess!  And promotion.

• I think most authors are, by default, shy.  Why else would we live inside our heads so much?!?  But I've found getting out there, spreading the word, trying to network and whatnot is so much easier, more comfortable, over internet than in person.  Just a little bit a day.  Add a few friends on twitter, contact a book blog, join a new group.  Little by little.  

• Hello! I'm Laurie (so I guess I'm not so anonymous anymore) and after publishing my first book with a small press, I decided to give self-publishing a try. Two novels later, even though I struggle at times with marketing and promotion (being a naturally shy person), I still love it. I look forward to meeting you and learning from each other.

• Hello!  My name is Danielle Forrest and I am the founder of this group.  I've been writing since I was a kid and am currently editing my first novel, Forever After, which I expect to be able to dump into beta readers' hands soon.  I write paranormal, scifi, and fantasy novels and am currently going for my PhD in Functional Genomics.

Strengths:

Editing

Photography/Photoediting

Knowledge of biological and forensic sciences (so if you have questions, feel free to ask!)

Computers

Weaknesses:

Graphical art

Anything even remotely related to math...