Tell Us About Yourself...
Posted by

First off, welcome!

So glad to have you here and meet fellow authors inundated with all it takes to self-publish.  I know it's not the same struggle as for Indie-published authors and hope that, together, we can help each other become the successes we want to be.

That being said, why don't you go ahead an introduce yourself?  Tell us what you've done in the past, what you're working on, and what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Your strength may be another's weakness.

Replies
  • My name is Lauren Hammond and I have loved the written word since I was a child. After a brief stint in The Children's Literary Institute, and after my novel, Love Sucks, was published with an indie publisher, Punkin House Press, I decided to take the leap into publishing on my own. I landed an internship reading slush with a management company and after that I became a literary manager. I've sold about 75,000 copies of my own books, and over 30 titles of my ex client's. I still write every day. My brain runs on new ideas. And right now, I'm currently a book scout with ASJ Publishing.
  • My name is Lauren Hammond and I have loved the written word since I was a child. After a brief stint in The Children's Literary Institute, and after my novel, Love Sucks, was published with an indie publisher, Punkin House Press, I decided to take the leap into publishing on my own. I landed an internship reading slush with a Management company and after that I became a literary manager. I've sold about 75,000 copies of my own books, and over 30 titles of my ex client's. I still write every day. My brain runs on new ideas. And right now, I'm currently a book scout with ASJ Publishing.
  • My name is Ariel Rosetti and I have been writing for many years. I was busy with a career and couldn't do much at that time. I have written seven books that were published through "Booktango" who are now closed. However, my books have been published on Amazon and Amazon International, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and they can be found all over the world. I had to find another publisher which was difficult as I had been with "Booktango" for four years. I write books based on fantasy, magic, and love. Luckily I have found a good publishing house that will print my books into soft cover in the next few months. My strengths vary and are on different levels but I am greatly dedicated to the art of writing. I strive for deep personal traits in my characters to show who they truly are as individuals... Weaknesses Public readings and self-promotion
  • Hi, I'm Carol, although my pen name uses my first two initials instead of my first name. I write historical fantasy and YA fantasy and have 3 novels out and numerous novelettes and novellas. I've published all my own work under an imprint I created using Creatspace and Kindle (free if you do your own work) and Lightning Source (expensive if you make mistakes). I still haven't discovered the secret to success, although I keep trying. 

Strengths: business, layout, writing, design

Weaknesses: social media, promotion, setting up book signings and speaking engagements

"They" tell me the key is to never give up. So here I am, plugging away, one day at a time.

• My name is April and I am new to She Writes and this group. I have just submitted my book to Author House where I am self publishing. I love to write and I love to think and over analyze a little to much also.  I write Romance or as my daughter says "Sex books" lol  My weakness is editing. I love to brain storm and get crazy in my head.  

• Hi everyone, my name is Darian and I've just joined the group here *waves* I have two self-published novels, Love Unfinished, and Reinventing Claire, and am currently working on a new series. The first book I plan to release this summer. I primarily write women's fiction/chick-lit, it's a genre I just gravitate toward as a reader and a writer. Let's see here, my strengths I suppose would be on the business side of things. I'm an organized person (nothing like Mommy Dearest though, feel free to use wire hangers if you please!), I have a good head for researching, learning new ways to market, and planning. My weaknesses probably fall more under the social media side of things. I'm an introvert by nature (not shy, I just find being very social for long periods of time draining), so I often struggle with marketing through social media. I'm not very comfortable 'touting' my work; it makes me feel like some sleazy, door-to-door salesman! But that's an area I plan to focus better on this year and make some progress. I would also have to steal one of Danielle's, anything even remotely related to math. If you need need a beta reader, sure, give me a shout - just don't ask me to help you with your taxes or figure out what percentage of tip to leave a waitress (lol). I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

• Hello, my name is Patricia Flaherty Pagan, and I ended up moving into self-publishing accidentally. I edited and am self-publishing my first anthology, Up, Do Flash Fiction by Women Writers, (out in late Feb). A small press, Robocup Press, was supposed to publish the book, but the founder and editor fell gravely ill, and had to abandon the project. So I hired some folks to help me edit, proofread and design the book and forged on by myself. I wanted to ask folks who have been down this road, how much self-promotion can one do before boring/alienating one's social networks? I learned so much doing the book that I am in the process of founding my own small press, Spider Road, which will publish novellas and anthologies. Still, it feels like all I do is mention Up, Do all day, and I don't want to seem selfish to would-be supporters... Have other folks found a balance between self-promotion and simply being a friendly person?

• Well, I think a lot of people have difficulty with the business side of things.  Ask any questions you need to.  I'm sorry I've been absent.  My life has been (and still is) crazy right now.  Remember: there are no stupid questions.

• Hi, It's nice to read about everyone.

I'm Lynn. I self-published a nonfiction book on Amazon KPD a few months ago. I'm getting it ready for print through CreateSpace, and also take on the daunting task of creating the multimedia electronic version. My book is an inspirational work using my experience of becoming a flying trapeze hobbyist despite (perhaps because of) a fear of heights.