Blogger versus WordPress?
Posted by

I am new to blogging, and am using Blogger.  What do you use, and why?  I am trying to figure out if I should switch to WordPress, or stay with Blogger.  Is there a difference?

Replies
  • Adi, I've just looked at the Conditions for using Blogger: the part immediately after the paragraph you quote goes on to say that this is only applied for purposes of promoting or improving the services: it's not a carte blanche for using your content in any other way. Not quite as dire as it sounded, perhaps, out of context.

It's worth reading the Terms and Conditions for anything you consider using online.

• I left Blogger for WordPress about two years ago and have never regretted the decision.  Blogger allows more widgets and script coding from 3rd party sites but WordPress has better themes, a better appearance and a better dashboard.  I also found WordPress easier to navigate to network with other bloggers.  I would never go back to Blogger after being on WordPress.  My husband switched over to WordPress a few months ago as well.  I also think the blogs on WordPress look more professional than the blogs on Blogger.  WordPress might take a little bit of getting used to because, initially, the Dashboard is a bit more complicated but once you understand it it's awesome.

• I have used both for different work/organizations, but I prefer Wordpress.

Right now, I use Wordpress.COM - though I hope to switch to Wordpress.ORG after I beef up my tech/code knowledge. I assume that you are planning to move to wordpress.com (?) 

Essentially, .ORG is a service to use to edit a page you already own. .COM is free so it looks like: yourname [dot] wordpress [dot] com.  You can upgrade on a .com to not have the wordpress address in there.  I did that, but in hindsight wish I'd just gone to a .org instead, especially the more I learn. Here's a good comparison between .org and .com: http://tentblogger.com/wordpress-com-org/  

First, its simply because I like their lay-out and set-up better.  It was a bit clunky to get used to after Blogger, but I also feel that my layouts at Wordpress look more professional and I have an easier time adding extra pages to your website. Not to say that you can't do this on Blogger, but I feel Wordpress' dashboard and functionality lend itself to create pages.  

Second, and probably more importantly to a lot of people, you own your content on Wordpress.  Honestly, I don't understand the details and I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure of the ins an outs.  But from what I understand: Google (Blogger)'s Terms of Service (which I honestly hardly ever read either) mean they own the content.  I read a few things about it, looked up their TOS. The most important to me:

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

I'm not a lawyer and in all actuality maybe the above means nothing, but it started to itch under my skin. I know that if you use Wordpress.ORG, you own the content flat-out. However, I am not sure about how this compares to Wordpress.com's TOS.  According to internet grapevine [of course, not always a reliable source of information], the TOS for Wordpress.COM are much more forgiving/give more control over content ownership to the blogger even though with a free domain (aka .com), the host is going to own the content (i.e. Wordpress).  This was a good blog about that (in my opinion): http://www.aroyaldaughter.com/2013/01/04/blogger-vs-wordpress-content-ownership/ (But she's talking Wordpress.ORG, I'm pretty sure)

All legal mumbo jumbo aside, for some reason, Wordpress always has loaded quicker on my computer for editing, writing, and such.  Using Wordpress, I started to research and learn more tech-y tricks, tips, etc. to customize my site more. (Thus the reason I want to move over to a .org - the ultimate customization)     

Just remember if you're comparing the two and doing web searches to always make sure they're talking about the Wordpress you're talking about.  This was a problem that I ran into was that I didn't check to make sure they were talking about the .com sites, so I'd get frustrated because I didn't realize information was about the .org sites. (Also, I think is probably the #1 answer to wordpress.com technical "how do I...?" questions in their forum.)

What I wish I had done: purchased a domain, downloaded from wordpress.org, and muddled my way through technologically.

Hopefully all that is helpful and coherent! 

• I have one blog on each site. They are more or less the same, but it seems like Blogger has let me do more with outside links. I didn't put the blogs on different sites for any particular reason, and I have been happy with both. Kelly