B&N refusing to stock any books published by Amazon
Posted by

The New York Times is reporting the above. What do you think, ladies?

• Will the prospect of no sales through B&N dissuade you from using CreateSpace to publish?
  • Would you choose to publish through Amazon or stock through B&N?

I've been watching this battle for a while, wondering how B&N was going to respond to the newer industry big'un. Fold or go  head to head? Who is the Romney character in the passion play, and who the Gingrich?

B&N has over 700 stores across the nation. Their absence will surely put a ding in Amazon's bottom line - something to consider, as Amazon just posted something like 50% downturn in sales. (I'm remembering off the top of my head - I could be wrong about the number.)

You can bet your patootie that INDEPENDANT bookstores aren't going to step up to fill the retailer void left by B&N.

Thoughts?

PS.: NYT article here:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/barnes-noble-says-it-wont-sell-books-published-by-amazon/

Replies
  • Does she self-publish through Createspace? It's owned by Amazon and there are certain price points given for each book depending upon trim size and page number. For my longest book, it wouldn't let me go below $14.99.  As for the price changing, that Amazon's prerogative, not the author or publisher.

• Oh, okay. I stand corrected. Now that you mention it when I told a writer she was charging too much for her ebook through Amazon ($16.99), she said she lowered it considerably but within two days, it was back to the original price and this happened twice. I will read the articles to your link. Thanks.

• I thought Amazon.com just reported another record-breaking quarter. Sooo, is this feud a result of Amazon's success and seemingly monopoly on ther literary world?  Sounds like a tantrum to me.

• True. It's not just the returns policy, but not all indie shops are supportive of local authors. And that's too bad. Some of our authors have had varying degrees of warmth when it comes to approaching an indie store or even their local B&N to do a signing. Some store owners have gotten very cynical and dismissive and think local authors are a dime a dozen. Why should they bother unless they're a national best seller? Now THAT would draw in the customers.

Ten years ago it was quite easy to go into your nearest B&N and speak with their "community manager" or whatever they're called, to arrange an event like a book signing or book club meeting, etc. Apparently--or at least in some quarters--that's a thing of the past. They've made it difficult to achieve.

But yes, there was a major hooha recently when Amazon released their price check app and urged people to go to their local stores and do a price check. That's just tacky in my opinion.

• Awesome point about MacMillian. I'd forgotten about that.

I'm one who thinks that competition is good for the marketplace. It keeps everyone on their toes. 

Fair competitiion, that is. Even if some ploys are legal, they are not ethical. I am not one who believes that anything done in the name of profit is the right thing to do. Sleep is too important to me.

• Indie stores need to take chances - esp. with local authors. If they do not, they will close. 

Amazon built it's book business buy selling at or under list price. They make plenty of money through standard (or higher) priced items in higher-margin product sections. Also, all buinesses make a great deal of profit off shipping. The larger volume of product they move, the more power they have to wring discounts from the shippers.

• "When will businesses understand that you can't have a monopoly and expect to survive?"

I see your point. Moving toward their jump of the shark, however, Amazon will make a ton of money.

Is that a bad? Now, I'm no Lou Dobbs. I have a strong set of ethics which does not include monopolies or price fixing.But the market is the market. Certain realities are inheret if not always pleasant. 

I think it is outstanding of CreateSpace and other P.O.D./e-book printers to offer anyone who years for a book the ability to publish and distribute worldwide. But no one is owed a living in any industry. One of the problems I've found interacting with self-published and indy authors is an utter lack of understanding about the busines of publishing.

Not Amazon, not any successful books tore - chain or indie - got where they did because they were willing to take prisoners. Precious few authors, either. 

Hmmmm ... 

• You should check with McNally Books in New York. They have an Espresso book machine in the store and I believe are connected with the licensing of it.

• Shawn, that's a great idea would be worth doing. In fact, it would be nice if more people or even co-ops did it and perhaps places that don't have a bookstore could get one.

I'm going to hunt for that blog post link!