B&N refusing to stock any books published by Amazon
Posted by

The New York Times is reporting the above. What do you think, ladies? Will this dissuade you from using CreateSpace to publish?

I've been watching this battle for a while, wondering how B&N was going to respond to the newer industry big'un. Fold or go  head to head? Who is the Romney character in the passion play, and who the Gingrich?

B&N has over 700 stores across the nation. Their absence will surely put a ding in Amazon's bottom line - something to consider, as Amazon just posted something like 50% downturn in sales. (I'm remembering off the top of my head - I could be wrong about the number.)

You can bet your patootie that INDEPENDANT bookstores aren't going to step up to fill the retailer void left by B&N.

Thoughts?

PS.: NYT article here:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/barnes-noble-says-it-wont-sell-books-published-by-amazon/

Replies
  • Hi. I am new to this group and I see that there wasn't much response to this question--but it's a question I am dealing with so I hope others will still weigh in with their experiences. I am getting ready to self-pub (eBook, POD) a novel this fall and it seems clear to me that I will use both Smashwords and Lightning Source (or a similar company) to touch all possible outlets. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Yes, I chose not to go with Amazon, CreateSpace, for that very reason, which threw a wrench into my whole self-publishing time schedule.  I had to start from scratch again and I've switched to a smaller company, who is selective.  Wanted book release date to fall on July 4th, but I'm not sure I can get everything done in time.  Will keep you posted.

Today, I posted, PTSD . . . Can One Woman and Her Book Make a Difference? on My Uncharted Journey into Publishing My First Book, my memoir.  The answer lies within.

Nancy MacMillan @ http://blogofavetswife.blogspot.com/

No time lately to read your awesome blogs, self-publishing inhales any free time, less than 4 months and counting.