NaNo Prep work
Posted by

With just 9 days left until we start, have you done any prep work?

Do you have an outline?

Charicters built? 

Your world and it's rules outlined (if you're writing about something not in the modern world) 

or do you fly by the seat of your pants, make it all up as you go along? 

I've done both, and won with both, but let me tell you from experience, it's easier if you do some planning before hand... 

How are you standing? Are you ready? 

Replies
  • Hi Veronica! I have this paranormal idea that has been rolling around in my head forever. It's nanowrimo eve and I still haven't worked on my outline. I'm a glutton for punishment. What about you?

• Candice you are better of than I am!  I have maybe 25% on paper 50% in my head and I haven't found the other 25% :-0  This is my first NaNo as well so here goes nothing :-D

Good luck to all!

GR

• I have a tendency to ramble and lose focus, so I've prepared a vague outline. Last year I had character sketches and a spreadsheet  for what "happens," plot-wise, each day. I didn't quite make it. The "front story" was done, but the "B story" petered out.

• Hey, I have also tried both and both went very well. However the planned one was a little easier. At the moment I also have 50% planned on paper and 50% in my head. I am still editing a book which is going to be published in nov 2011 by xyno books called Betrayal. I will be finished with that by the 24th oct. so I can plan from then.I can't wait!

• I have nothing.  Sigh.  I have been editing two novels and maintaining my blog, so my brain has no empty chamber.  The plan, however, is to finish the editing - one down and one to go - and warn blog followers that posts may be sparce during November, although I am sure there will be many hair pulling moments that will lend themselves to posts.  Any brainstorming advice would be appreciated.
  • I have a rough outline; 5o% on paper and 50% still in my head at this point.  My 2 main characters are fleshed out, and I'm working tomorrow on the other characters.  I've done background research for the 2 primary locations and some research involving questions of culture and religion -- awaiting some responses from other SheWriters who are helping with the latter.

Still fill totally unprepared, but I tend to be a "pantster" anyway. (This is my 1st NaNo.)

Good luck to all !

• Mentally, I have. I haven't actually put anything to paper yet. Since its such a short time, I definitely need an outline.