Important- Group Vote Needed
Posted by

Hi all,

I've been doing some research on whether or not our work is considered "published" when we post our work for critique on the group. From what I understand it is, especially since anyone can google SheWrites and see our threads,(they can't comment unless they're members). The policy on this group is to start a thread and continue posting our work until we need to start another. This has worked for us so far but it's limiting esp. if we decide to submit our work. We cannot take individual poems down without having to take the entire thread down. I would like to change this policy to poets posting individual threads for each of their poems, that way if anyone submits their work to a magazine they can just take that thread down. I'd really like to hear feedback from other members.

kelli

Replies
  • Kelli, I have been in abstentia for a long while, and have poems I’d like to post—ones that are on my submission lists or collections. I think it’s a great idea about removing the post. Very smart thought. Joyce
  • Kelli, I have been in abstentia for a long while, and have poems I’d like to post—ones that are on my submission lists or collections. I think it’s a great idea about removing the post. Very smart thought. Joyce
  • uh duh, I forgot I'd like to ask the people here that have put in time to answer this thread. Is it ok if I take down all your work that you have posted? I'm going to leave the front page up so I can redirect people to the new group.
  • All right everyone the new group is up. http://www.shewrites.com/group/poetrycritique
    same name just no space. also I am fiddling with the controls to see how the group works when information is private so don't be offended if it says you have to be approved,anyone can still join, im just checking to see if that control has an effect on privacy.
  • Great discussion ! I agree with the password protection idea for obvious reasons.  Beyond that, however, and I unfortunately don't have any written citations to share, someone in the business recently shared with my local writers' critique group his information and knowledge re: intellectual property. In his opinion, supposedly based upon research, on-line publishing does = publication.  He was speaking more regarding the problems of copyright infringement than of the rules in various publishing houses.  In any case, I support the idea of continuing to share and support one another here, but in a more-restricted manner.
  • Hi Kelli and All,

I think this is a great conversation worth having. I've been confronted with the issue recently. It's almost like a double edge sword because when freelance writing they ask for samples of your writing and blog sites. However the magazines say with the exception of workshops if your poems are viewable online it cannot be submitted. I've just accepted the fact that if I think I might submit a particular poem I can’t post it on any forums or any blogs. The unfortunate thing about that is I can't change my mind at a later date and there's a potential to miss out on opportunities to good pieces noticed. There are some magazines who will allow you to do so it may be helpful if we could compile a list of those that do for future reference. To that end it would be nice to see how work could be preserved.

• I don't think chapbook editors view poems seen, in quite the same way as editors looking at single poems. Poems being on a blog would not bother them. The acknowledgment is with whoever's blog it is. Make sense? I will try and get a new thread started but you may get to it before I, as I have been neglecting everything around me except email ;-)