Agents/Publishers for Australian writers - tips, advice and feedback
Posted by

Hi everyone,

I've done the usual round of contacting agents and  publishers in Australia (and overseas). I've had an agent and a publisher tell me that they like my writing style but it's not quite for them. I was happy just to get that (and to be fair, the agent gave me some very good feedback and contact).

I'm interested in hearing about the experiences of other writers.

Have you found it hard to break into the local publishing world?

Do you have any tips or advice to share?

Should we all just pack our bags and head overseas ?

What is the local market looking for in a good story?

Replies
  • Hi Trish - I'm not on SheWrites regularly so I only just saw this. I've been an in-house editor, an author and an agent, so I have a variety of Australian publishing-related experiences to share. Yes it is difficult to break in, but I suggest you begin with submitting shorter pieces to the smaller journals and online magazines that are now proliferating, if you haven't done so already. In Australia I'm thinking of Kill Your Darlings, Griffith Review, Meanjin. If an agent has been encouraging, then you should feel encouraged. Lots of writers still have their first manuscript in a box somewhere at home, and it's usually there for a reason even if we ourselves can't see it. Do you have a writers' group or a few trusted readers to share your work with? As an Australian living in New York I can assure you that heading overseas in search of an easier time of getting published is putting the cart before the horse, in my view. Hope this helps. If you want to get in touch, feel free to do so via here or my website: www.virginialloyd.com . Good luck with your writing!