Who are some of your favorite short story writers?
Posted by

I'm big on James Thurber, even though I may get a little frustrated but I like the quirky characters, the oddly disturbing themes and the ways in which his characters interact and view and respond to events that occur in their lives.

Toni Cade Bambara is another favorite of mine. I discovered her some years ago and was hurt that she passed away, no longer able to gift us with the grind of everyday, round-the-block characters. Shirley Jackson is another favorite, who left us too soon.

Lansgton Hughes was perhaps the author of adult literature and poetry that I fell in love with. His Simple character is just that and I love him, despite his opinionated views.

I've started reading works by Ambrose Bierce as well, so he is fast becoming a favorite.

Who are some of your favorite writers of short stories? I tend to read a bit of women's fiction and I know I need to expand my reading, as I used to read almost everything when I was in school. Who are you reading?

Replies
  • Some of my favorite short story writers are Stephen King, Jeffery Deaver, Dean Koontz, David Morrell. Those are the few off the top of my head. LOL When I can remember the rest, I'll add them. 

In the meantime, I'm going to check out some of the other authors listed here.  Thanks!

• Raymond Carver is my favourite. I also enjoy Tobias Wolff. I have real fascination with Dirty Realism. It's the kind of stories I like to write myself.

• Lol on Gogol.  Keep looking at the Dead Souls book on my shelf.  Maybe I'll pick it up after I finish Dodi Smith.  Still working on Maugham.   :)
  • Hi,

Thouhgt I'd chime in.  I am excited to read all of the authors you suggested, Rosalie, and didm't know that Langston Hueghes wrote short stories...Awesome!

I love Raymond Carver and blogged about him just the other day.  I love Angela Thomas, Jo Ann Beard, Sandra Cisneros, Nathanial Hawthorne, Chekov, Kafka, Lorrie Moore, Barry Lopez, Elizabeth Tallent, Dostoyevsky and more...

Am reading Somerset Maugham and am deconstructing how he tells a story - amazing.

• I'll have to look up the authors you named. Have you ever seen any short film adaptations of any short stories? I've only come across one by Langston Hughes, entitled Thank You, Ma'am."

• I love love love Shirley Jackson. Speaking of "quirky characters and oddly disturbing themes," Angela Carter is another favorite of mine. Sherman Alexie. Rosario Ferre. Kelly LInk. Kathleen Alcala. I'm sure I'll think of more after I hit "reply"!