The Subgenres of Horror?

Horror was the first genre I really read in, and the first genre I really wrote in, but at the time, it was just some paranormal stuff, like ghosts or hauntings.  Since then, my interests have shifted, and I was wondering, just how are the subgenres of horror really divided?  And what do these divisions mean?  I know some publishing companies and literary agencies like to know these classifications, so I figured it would be a good thing to figure out.

I am guessing supernatural horror has to do with vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.  But that's probably the only classification I know, since it has become such a huge one lately.

What else is there?

(frankly the psychological horror stuff interests me the most, but I'd like to see some definitions of the subgenres so I can focus my reading and get an idea of where my writing stands in the overarching horror genre.)

Thanks so much!

~Tiffany

Replies
  • This link, thank you Crysa, states it all.

However, there is a bit of overlap in the list, but isn't there always when classifying things?

• Personally...I feel the term "horror" is subjective. I LOVE horror but not a lot scares me. One thing that does scare me is submitting a work of horror to a horror magazine or agent. What if it doesn't scare them? Have I failed? I have also found it difficult to WRITE the horror because it just doesn't scare me. If I were to right what scares me I would be crossing over into the James Patterson thriller genre and that's not what I want to do...lol.

I have come to terms with the fact that demons and "the end of the world" doesn't scare me, but I LIKE those subjects. And that type of topic (if done well) DOES scare a lot of people...lol. Now I am not saying I do it well per say. I am working on doing it well...lol....but aren't we all?

So as far as the subgenre thing...I think it's gotten split way to much...like music. Let's just get back to writing what we love and stop trying to categorize or label it. Not at the writers as much as the industry. My first book was a vampire book, but wasn't scary. Didn't think it belonged in the crime thriller (even though it heavily relied on the main character who was a cop). I ended up just telling people it was "Dark Fiction." That covered it. There was a time while writing that I started to get wrapped up in "Where does this belong?" It took the fun out of writing.

Now I just write with the horror genre in mind and not worry too much about which subgenre it belongs in. If categorize things down too much you lose what the intent is.

My whole point is....lol...horror is subjective, so, in turn, the sub genres will be much more undetermined. What scares me, may not scare you. Are vampires paranormal? Are they even horror? I don't happen to think so, but you may. ;)

Kristy