30 Days of Fiction, Day 3. Write a query letter for a Steampunk novel.

This one is a little more challenging, I'm sure I did this all wrong if it were a real query letter. Still, it got me thinking about how to present my novel in a short synopsis. Especially since I haven't really even begun to write this novel yet. I think this has been my favorite challenge so far. As always, add comments or your own letter!

To: Tor Publishing

Re: Query for The Book of Adam

I would like to propose to you my completed manuscript for The Book of Adam, a story set in a Steampunk Victorian Europe.

Briefly, story is about an extraterritorial man, Horace Esmond, passing himself for a proper English gentleman who spirits away a bright young woman, Evelyn Hildebrand, to help him look for the mythical Book of Adam. This ‘book’ is an enhanced sapphire embedded with all the knowledge of the alien people that Horace is part of. They are in a race to obtain the book against a fellow extraterritorial, Atun, who wants the book for himself. On their quest they encounter, German Air Pirates, a disgruntled fiancé, disapproving parents, and an irate volcano.

The book is propped to be about 150k in length and the start of a trilogy. I also wish to use it as a way to introduce readers to my own version of a Steampunk world that I plan to build other novels in.

I have enclosed the first chapter as well as a SASE if you would take the time to send suggestions for improvement back to me.

Thank you,

Madame Penzel.