Amping up the Horror Writers Group.

The description of the is group states:

“Stuck on how to lay the final stab? Worried your bad guy isn't as antagonistic as he needs to be? Come here and share tips, help other authors and critique stories all of the horror genre.”

So in order to work towards these goals I would like to know what everyone was looking for when they joined this group and if they’ve found it. If they have, please share a short description of how, if you haven’t please tell us how we could improve (be nice).

I’m interested in doing this to increase group activity and to make this group a useful tool to its members. So please take a moment to participate in this, it may just be the turning point you were looking for.

Replies
  • NaNoWriMo here we come!! Anyway, I just wanted to check in. I'm a huge fan of horror, and want to "hone my chops," so to speak...I'm good at conversation and character, but terrible at building suspense. :( Hence the reason I'm here looking for tips. I love to read and write, A LOT. I'm also helping pimp an anthology that's collecting stories, called Horror For Good--all proceeds go to AIDS research, if anyone's interested in submitting.

Happy to be here. :)

• :) Yeah, that's what I meant. Separate posts for each. I don't have anything new that needs read, at the moment, so someone else should start it.
  • I don't know if new groups is the best way to go, BUT, we could start discussion threads with each heading. I've done this in a previous Ning group.

What we would do is post an item to be critiqued, plan a time for it to be critiqued till and then take the discussion down afterwards. We could do this here, it's no real problem. 

• Agreed! Let's start a critique session here. Should we set it up as specific genres inside horror. 

AS IN: I do not like vampire romance. I do like serial killer, psycho horror and non-sparkly vampires.

SO I would suggest we make separate groups so we know what we're about to read...

such as making these groups:

Gore -  For those stories that spill more blood than character descriptions

Romantic horror -  Anything that has something falling in love with something else

Psychological horror - Humans doing bad things

Creature horror - Non-humans doing bad things

Paranormal horror - Ghosts doing bad things

Other horror - Extraterrestrial things doing bad things

• Well, we can post snipits here and make them individual discussions. If you notice you can upload files to the comments and such. Then it would be open for critique and I belive it could be taken down when it had run its course.
  • I'd like to see a critique aspect bloom here as well. I know I've used a similar site to do just that before. How many others might be interested?
  • I joined to find other women horror writers and join in discussion about writing and just general support of other women who enjoy working in the genre, plus critique and helpful discussions when things get sticky.

The group seems a bit dead and not in the horror way of decapitated bodies. I think it's just because we haven't been utilizing it. I know I could be a lot more active than I have.