Favorite authors?
I'm new to thrillers, and wondered which books/series and writers you would consider "essential" reading in the genre. Who do you read over and over again?
Replies
  • The jumping-to-conclusions-worrywart doesn't know what she's talking about. Like Kristen said, forge ahead. Prove her wrong!
  • Thanks for answering, Kristen! I see that the genre is much broader than people might realize. The part about Stephen King... just finished reading a biography about him. His writing changed for the better after he stopped doing drugs and drinking-- just before Dolores Claiborne, I think. I always wondered how the same person could write both The Shining and The Green Mile/The Shawshank Redemption, etc.

I felt the "signature", rote thing happening with Anne Rice's books. I voraciously read the first few books following Interview With The Vampire, then couldn't continue. She has so many supporting characters, not all of them as interesting as the original, main characters (like Lestat, Louis, Armand). Maybe she just got caught up in the question: "I wonder where this character came from?".

• Q.  Anyone else have this problem?  

A.  Yes. 

I've seen this many times, and without having yet published a book, I wonder how to 'keep it fresh.'  The jumping-to-conclusions-worrywart in me is forever asking (as I try to compose the First Fresh Thing) "What if you say it again."  "Maybe you've exhausted your imagination already."  I just wish she'd let me get the first round of imaginary capers off the ground before she butts in.   ;>

• It's such a broad genre but so many of my favorite authors are...thrilling...one way or another.  I loved The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, but thought Dan Brown totally jumped the shark with The Lost Symbol :)  Some of Stephen King's less disgusting work is more thriller than horror (e.g. The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne).  John Grisham (e.g. A Time to Kill).  Love Michael Crichton and sometimes, Robin Cook.  Big fan of scientific/medical thrillers (I'm a scientist, LOL), and historical thrillers, like Mistress of the Art of Death (Ariana Franklin).  Anything involving travel to really cool places is a huge bonus :) 

Sometimes I get addicted to an author because of one book but then I end up disappointed because the different books by the same author are too "signature" - they all start seeming like the same story, or, the writing style gets old.  Then I crave a new author to adore.  Anyone else have this problem? 

• Keep me posted on how your Urban Fantasy Thrillers are going? I've enjoyed reading Urban Fantasy (especially Charles de Lint), but haven't read one with that appellation.

I'm working on a book about an English professor who gets denied tenure for the umpteenth time, so she decides she's going to kill herself. I don't know much beyond that yet. Thanks for askin'!

• I am currently working on a set of Urban Fantasy Thrillers at the moment... it's been a challenge, but it's also rewarding. I have planned to start my final edits on some adult thrilers in mid-June. Looking forward to it :-) How about you? What are you working on at the moment?