Female horror writers who don't write fantasy?
Posted by

Are there any you would recommend? I'm looking for authors who don't write about vampires, etc. (not that there's anything wrong with that; it's just not something I could see myself writing about). It seems talk of horror writers is always about male authors. I need some girl-power inspiration! :)

Thanks for reading!

Adriana

Replies
  • Tanith Lee is one of my favourites.  She writes both horror and fantasy, but her horror is very much that, frightening and demonic.  If you are into zombies, Rhiannon Frater is a good pick.  And I loved Cryptic by DA Chaney - May December Publications features a lot of female horror talent in their anthologies as well (Rebecca Snow, Suzanne Robb, Rebecca Lloyd are a few I can think of off the top of my head).  Carole Gill is another - she writes some pretty creepy stuff. I'd brag about my own work, but only my horror short stories have been published so far; my novels published to date have been fantasy and dystopian.  I have two completed horror novels I hope to see in print someday.

If you want a good sampler with many female contributors, consider Slices of Flesh from Dark Moon Books, a flash fiction horror compilation with work from 90 different authors.

• It depends on what you're looking for. By no fantasy, do you mean serial killer stories? Or psychological horror? Or something else entirely?
  • Hello,

I've a list of female "horror" that does not include vampires (though many horror writers do tend to delve into that abyss). 

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

Yvonne Navarro

Tanith Lee

Caitlin Kiernan

I have not read all of these women, but these are the names that come up.

Why are you needing inspiration? Are you trying to write a horror story?