Pennames: What do you think are the upsides and downsides? Any fave fantasy pseudonyms?
Posted by

What would you do if you were published in middle-grade, but you had a hankering to write erotica? An adult noir? A cookbook? Would you be tempted to use a penname? 

http://catherinestine.blogspot.com/2011/04/benefits-and-perils-of-using-penname.html

Replies
  • Ana Kenley, nIce penname! Sounds slightly exotic yet very relatable. It's so much fun to hear about the different pennames and reasons why writers are using them. Thanks!
  • I use a pen name for my YA. Not because I secretly write erotica or anything like that, but because everyone mangles my real name. So Ana Kenley is a pseudonym.  Since I write YA, if I wanted to write erotica or adult noir, I would probably do it under another name...because I wouldn't want my YA audience picking up an erotica and getting the surprise of their life. LOL.

I don't have any fave fantasy pseudonyms...but I do like mine. It's a combination of my middle name, my husband's name and my children's names.

Ana

• Oh, yeah, I would, especially if it was erotica! I don't have anything against it, but mixing MG and erotica are like mixing pickles & peanut butter. It just leaves a funky taste on your tongue.

Cookbook + MG? I wouldn't bother having a pen.

Writing a sticky situational memoir- yes, again.