Character Fact Sheets: Do you keep them? How much detail do you put into one?
I keep a character sheet for everyone in my story.  When it comes to the MCs I know just about everything there is to know about them.  Where the grew up, where they went to school and what is their family make-up just scratch the surface of the bio I maintain on them.  I know what they drive, what style they furnish their home in and what they do to blow off steam when no one is watching.   When I get writers block I often work on a bio and get to know my character better.

How well do you know your characters? 
Replies
  • Hi Candy!

I've attached my character worksheet as requested. It's pretty detailed (5 pages), and I don't necessarily answer all questions. Plus, I may add/delete things as appropriate taking account what works for me and what doesn't.

I referenced the books where I got some of the questions from and started a new discussion thread (Character References) where I suggest other books I like on the subject :)

• Well everyone has their own process and if that works for you that's fantastic.

Now I write mysteries.  So somehow their 'reading' of people, her psychic and his film, would lead them together into solving something. 

If I wrote romance this would be a perfect 'cougar' relationship...they have the ability to 'read' people in common. 

• I like this approach. I guess my process is more "jump in and do it" than having it all figured out ahead of time. At this point in my writing, I'm more interested in the actual interactions between characters than in their personal histories. I feel that the action takes center stage, and the characters reveal themselves as the story unfolds--both to the reader and to me. That's why I really like your method of invoking the character through multiple sensory inputs. It makes the writing more immediate, more tangible.
  • After reading all of the comments I realize that I really don't know my characters the way I thought I did. It never dawned on me to keep a profile on each of the characters. So sometime this week I'm going to get to meet my characters. I will incorporate all of these wonderful ideas. Thanks...RevLa
  • There is a great book that will help you with just that problem.

It's called What Would Your Character Do?  It has about 30 situatation, such as a Family Reunion and it will set up little scenes like planning the reunion... Does your character take charge, does your character help the one in charge, does your character offer to help then not, does your character say "nope not helping". 

It also breaks people into 4 (or5) character groups and tells you which response to a ? best fit that character group, helps keep you on track.

It is great book.    I do a bunch of the exercises for the MCs and usually 2 or 3 for side characters.  I would suggest owning it, I refer to it a lot.

• A writer friend recently suggested this to me. Write a letter from the character to him/herself at the beginning of the story where he/she states desires and goals. Then spend the bulk of the letter exploring how the character will achieve these goals. The key is to BE your character while writing these letters. Sometimes I'll put together a playlist of music that suits the character and light a scented candle that matches his/her personality, anything to get in the proper mindset. I know it sounds silly, but once you've gotten into their heads once, not only will it be easier to do again, but their actions will be more organically derived from their personalities and goals.
  • I keep a notebook for each book / story idea. Inside, I jot down notes, ideas, plot happenings, conflicts and yes, character pages. I probably should devise some kind of fact sheet like Zetta mentioned...you wouldn't be up for sharing your template would you, Zetta? It may help someone, like me--a writer who has total ADD. My character sheets are scribbled and very unorganized. They look more like a child wrote them.

Some of my stories are birthed out of an idea or premise, instead the characters themselves. Then, I find I have to go back and create characters to fit the bill. Does that make sense? Then I fall in love with them once they're created.

There have been dozens, like now, when a character comes to life all by themselves and sit in the back of my brain, knocking until I answer. Usually when that happens, the story comes second. It's as if when I open the mental door to let the character out, his or her story flows out with them.

My problem then is writing it all down in an organized fashion instead of trying to remember all the facts about each character.

Maybe that is one reason I have ADD! Too many voices floating around in my brain. At least I don't think I'm a lunatic anymore! As a child, I often wondered if I had multiple personalities. lol.

Great group by the way, Michelle. Thanks for the invite!

• I keep character sheets not only as reference, but as part of my brainstorming. I've patched together a pre-writing workbook for myself from author resources, reference books, etc that helps me develop character-driven plots.
  • Hi Michelle! Thanks for inviting me this group! Love it! Character development is one of the most time consuming aspects of writing for me. I have to knowmy characters intimately! From birth on and even before sometimes. I have character templates too,but I use a poster board for my main characters once I get down tothe business of writing. Its bigger,I scribble notes on it.I'm a very visual person so it helps me to truly see me people! LOL Thanks again!

Peace

Kim