Baby Boomers -- Myths or Facts
Posted by
Is it true what they say about Baby Boomers: Mass media for years have been touting Baby Boomers as some kind of wonderkids who have it all or are trying to have it all. We're supposed to have hefty retirement packages and to take whirlwind trips while in retirement. I supposed they didn't include everybody. Do you think they're stereotyped us? expecially writers who don't retire until eternity.
Replies
  • I think that a lot of us are still in touch with that inner hippy. Maybe not so much the substances (ahem) but the substance: we are nothing if not individuals. We resist being stereotyped and kick pretty hard when someone tries to stuff us in a box.

As we've grown into the early-middle, middle, late-middle ages, we've stayed younger than our parents and grandparents at the same ages. If there is a negative side to that, I think we're slow to realize we're in charge now.

• I don't fit into this group. I was a mother for many years and do not have any retirement package but I always manage to stay above water. I even went on  a booktour this summer to London where my book was published. I'ts also on Amazon and it was a wonderful experience to talk to people who welcomed me. I have been a caretaker all my life and speaking and reading fits my personality. I also was a teacher for a few years. I think you have to reinvent yourself and keep on truckin.... This is all we have and it's getting late so do what ever you want to do and find a way to pay for it. It sounds easy but it isn't. It is doable though. People would rather buy a couch than travel the world. would rather watch tv., then finish that novel. Be creative and find a way to do what you want. Now is the time. If I could do it and I lived in my closet so full of fear in my 40's and earlier anyone can.  Aloha
  • We created our website, LetLifeIn.com specifically to counteract the concept of all baby boomers being alike.There is a tendency today to lump all boomers together as if we’re some sort of club. The boomer label implies that we are all the same and that our feelings and experiences are the same, which of course is not true. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we who are over 50 are many things besides being over 50.

Let Life In deals with the realities, not the myths, of being a boomer today. At Let Life In, you’ll find we don’t mince words or beat around the bush. Unlike other websites directed to the ‘after 50′ audience, the writers and editors whose expertise comprise the content of this site don’t sugar-coat the 50+ years but reveal what boomers today, as individuals, are thinking, exploring and experiencing.

Let Life In is about the years after 50, without the B.S.

• Well, It's partially true.  Most of us have retired from at least one career and possibly have a retirement plan, but are still too young to lay down and die. Writing is my retirement.

As wonderkids, yes, I guess we are. Stop and think of what we've seen come to pass in our lifetime...man on the moon, television, microwave ovens, computers which fit on desks and laps, portable radios, walkmans, CD's, the internet, automatic washing machines and dryers, the list goes on and on.

Personally, I did most of the traveling in my younger years. I haven't done a whirlwind trip in years. :o) But we do have more disposable income than say a young'en with a family or a person just out of college.

Writers never retire.  It is the one thing you can do until you die.