Would self publishing my first book the right thing to do?
Posted by
The pen journey started when I was 15 years old.I experience so much at an early age ,progressing as I grew older.Alot of mistakes were made along the way.I know I can not change the universe,however I would like to leave an imprint on a parent or child.Realizing were we went wrong ,including myself will help me be a voice and a helpful guide for others.Any suggestions
Replies
  • Carolyn Thanks for summing up book publishing. I am thankful for information that makes this process crisper in my mind. I have lots of questions so I will be hanging around to glean.

Blessings

• Let me start by saying that I'm not anti-self-publishing. But I have had some experience and it wasn't all good.

You might want to look at all other avenues first. I self-published my first two books, and for a long time after that I couldn't get anyone to take me seriously. I didn't try an ebook or traditional publisher first, but everyone assumed that I'd been turned down by them and that was why I'd self-published. They didn't want to see any of my work for a long time.

If you just want to see your book in print, and maybe give it to family and friends, then go with self-pubbing. If you want to make a career out of your writing, try everything else first. Again, I'm not knocking self-publishing. I guess what I am knocking is the attitude toward self-published authors. Frankly, I've read some pretty good self-pubbed books.

Helpful Hint - Have someone who's really, really good with proofreading and editing look at your work before you start sending it out. That will give you a head start.

Good luck!

• (1) Write the book with all your heart, soul, and wisdom.

(2) Define what type of book it is and who might want to read or buy it.

(2) Research all your publishing options:

* competitive submission (traditional print or e-book, involving agents, established houses, advances, royalties)

* author-services assisted (what most people call "self-publishing" but is actually vanity publishing through print-on-demand houses such as iUniverse, Lulu, CreateSpace, etc.; you provide the manuscript then pay for packages of editing, printing, marketing, distribution, and receive a percentage of sales)

* self-publishing (you are the publisher and either do everything yourself or hire individual professionals for each step and coordinate the process but pocket all the profits)

* web publishing (post your material somewhere online, usually free, and usually without any monetary return)

* Pursue the option of choice, and be prepared to market like mad so that other people will find the book.