faith and feminism writing group
Posted by
I am looking to start a writing group for writers on the topics of faith/spirituality and feminism - very broadly defined. I envision the group as mostly a place to regularly submit ideas and drafts for feedback. And the possibility for collaboration with like minder writers. For a sense of my writer style, see my blog - http://sotah.net/
Replies
  • Dear Anna: I sent the following letter earlier today to aSotah@ gmail.com , who is asking if people would like a "contributor" page. I'm a newcomer to SheWrites, and probably too old and sceptical for so much of what goes on here, but I do have another (completed) book about Anne Askew and 16th Century England that I would be thrilled to find readers/responders for. Let me know what you think. Binnie Williams

What I really need and want is readers/ commentors. What I would be interested in is a reading/feedback group - where we could post chapters, set up so that readers could edit, comment, make suggestions in the body of the chapter. The author would maybe post a summary paragraph, and the reader could decide if that's something that would interest them. I'm on Chapter XIV of a book speaking to everyone who has experienced disaster in their lives, telling them about my disaster (Shipwrecked - a Love Story) and how to get out of it and get a life back. (At the time the only comforts I could find were the book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People", and the chorus from Annie, "The sun will come up tomorrow, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar . . . .  ") There may be some who are bottoming out right now that would like to know how another ordinary woman found her way back from homelessness, poverty and desperation, and what she used for tools to do it. 

I could give you feedback from and about the nontraditional feminist Jew you present, do some suggested editing for language, flow and effective presentation, and I might be able to recruit a couple of rabbis as readers. (I can't promise for them of course.) I would expect the same kind of trade from anyone who is interested in reading my work. Maybe the contributor page could list the summaries of all the chapters that are available? The only thing I have the energy for now is finishing that book - and I wouldn't want a contributor page that I would have to write something for. I look forward to your thoughts. binnie williams
  • I'd like to be a part of a group like this, Anna. I've just completed a new manuscript with a working title of Conversations in Good Company in which I explore the lives of ancient women who actually saved my life.  First volume from first millennium. Second volume from 16th century Reformation.
  • This sounds like something I would like to do. I'm thinking of taking the diaries I have kept for years on my trips to India and the spiritual lessons learned from working there and do a spiritual memoir of my insights from those trips. Brooke Stephens
  • I concur with the others. I've been reading and writing on the issue.