Never giving up (in praise of same...)
Posted by
I'm feeling excited today. "Lethal Intent," my book on serial killer Aileen Wuornos, has just been re-issued as a Pinnacle Books "True Crime Classic." Here's the thing. I got my first contracts for this book in, gulp, 1991. Book came out in my native UK in 1992 and 1994, but the US publisher orphaned it and essentially tied the rights up in knots. Fast forward 8 years, 4 lawyers and 87 nervous breakdowns later and it finally came out in the US in 2002. It was reissued in 2004. So you'll understand why this "True Crime Classic" reissue is such fun for me in 2010. And testament to the fact that writers can't give up however much they may, at times, feel like it! Plz check it out if you like true crime, or pass it on to anyone who does! Thanks very much :) http://tinyurl.com/32p7nho Thanks, Sue
Replies
  • I'm new to SheWrites and just ran across this post.   In the early 1990s, I was part of an Aileen Wuornos Defense Committee in the SF Bay Area.  We wrote to her and did organizing about the right to self-defense and tried to help pressure for her to get a new trial, which of course did not happen. Had some interaction with Nick Broomfield and her court-appointed lawyer, whose name I'm not remembering, Christopher something.  Though in general, I'm not a true crime fan, I will definitely check out your book.

• Sue, you're an inspiring example of persistence and determination.  Congratulations on the reissue of Lethal Intent as a Pinnacle "True Crime Classic."

• Good for you! Sticking to the fight is something all writers need to remember. Wether it's getting that first contract or finishing that first ms.  I have always been fascinated with the Aileen Wuornos case. What was your angle in the novel? 

• Congratulations, Sue! You certainly deserve a pat on the back for your determination and perseverance.

Although I didn't go through anything even close to what you did, I understand the frustration of waiting years to see your dream come true. It was ten years from the day I actually started writing Mixed Messages, the first novel in my Malone mystery series, (also about a serial killer) until the day it was released. I had to keep reminding myself to keep the faith!