Single mama role call!
Posted by
I was just curious how many single mothers were on here. I am a single mother of a 4 year old boy with special needs, and I work full time. Without a partner to give me a break, take turns with bedtime duty, help with the AM routine, etc. it is even harder to carve out time for my writing. As it is, my son's father takes him for 24 hours each week, and that is basically when I work on my book. I'm thankful for that time, but he will be out of town for the next two weeks, so there goes my writing window. I guess I could set up a playdate or two? I would love to hear how other single mothers find the time to have a regular writing practice! Thanks :)
Replies
  • Hi Leah, I'm single mom to a 2 year old and a full time grad student. So I totally know where you're coming from. It is rough! Like you, my daughter's dad keeps her overnight 1 once per weekend, plus he picks her up once a week for a few hours when he gets off from work. She also goes to daycare part-time 3 days a week. When she's away I'm usually doing homework but I find that I write better late at night, so I try to write after she goes to bed. Do you have a time of day when you find you do your best writing? Can you carve out time to maybe wake earlier or go to bed later? Good luck!