visualize your perfect writing day
Posted by
So, this idea comes form Joan Dempsey's book, "The Power of Deliberate Thinking: 5 Strategies for Staying at The Writing Desk (Despite your self doubts)" on www.literaryliving.com--And, well, comes from Goethe also (Whatever you can dream, you can do...). So, what is your ideal writing day? Wake up to yoga and mediation, followed by green tea and 4 hours of uninterrupted writing and editing? Or a cup of coffee, some reading, followed by writing and a glass of wine to finish off the day with friends? And how can you make this day a reality?
Replies
  • I assume you're not including weekends.......or do you need to recalculate? Skip that, it could be really depressing.
  • Oh boy, don't we all. Seriously, how little can little get. I mean, here I am promoting how to write steadily in 10 minutes a day. That's how it is in my world! So, it will take me approximately 2 years and 42 days to finish my next manuscript! Darn kids.
  • yeah, me either. But it's nice to plan it out. Oh, and btw all, the site / writer that I took this idea from, Joan Dempsey, has another ebook on her site www.literaryliving.com called "60 Tips and Tools for Staying at the Writing Desk." Just finished it--it's witty and has wonderful ideas for getting and keeping us writing. Oh, and those of us with little free time, it's a very quick and efficient read.
  • Any day that I could be alone from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall back on the pillow - though I don't think it's going to be happening any time soon.
  • Ha! Yes, so hard, I definitely understand. Check out that 10 minute a day habit that Joan talks about on www.literaryliving.com (based on Leo Babuata's ideas). You could use that for quitting smoking...implement something else instead--more writing time! :)
  • From Cambridge, in the heart of the English fens, I've posted my perfect writing day on my blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion! Susan
  • I actually quit for several years, then I started again about two years ago. My kids are now getting old enough to realize what I'm doing when I go 'outside', so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to quit real soon.