Books I recommend for writing
Posted by
I was just going through my bookshelf when I got to the final shelf: my writing books. I decided I'd give you a short list of the books that have helped me and hopefully they can help you too. If you've read any that aren't listed, please share them with us! The Writer's Book of Wisdom: 101 Rules for mastering your craft by Steven Taylor Goldsberry The 3 a.m. Epiphany: Uncommon writing exercises that transform your fiction by Brian Kiteley Characters, emotions, and viewpoints by Nancy Kress Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell The 38 most common fiction writing mistakes (and how to avoid them) by Jack M. Bickham Writing & Selling the YA novel by K.L. Going Bullies, bastards, and bitches: how to write the bad guys of fiction by Jessica Page Morrell First Draft in 30 days by Karen S. Wiesner The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creative Writing by Laurie E. Rozakis, Ph.D. I hope at least one of these books will help you on your literary journey!!!
Replies
  • Also...

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury (gift from my husband)

The Writer's Guide to Fantasy Literature, by Philip Martin (a "find" while walking the aisles at Borders *sigh*)

• Thank you for sharing this, Emily. I think that there are a few books on this list I could benefit from.

Karen G.

• Showing & Telling: Learn how to show and when to tell for powerful & balanced writing by Laurie Alberts
  • On my bookshelf -

Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
    The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass
    Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott
    On Writing by Stephen King
    Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life
    The Ten Percent Solution by Ken Rand

There are some others, but these are the ones I recommend to anyone who writes in any style or genre, and they're the ones I go back to over and over.