How DO you deal with procrastination?
Posted by
Heather Haskins states in a comment to one of the discussions:
I have probably started 60 "things" in my lifetime - novels, short story collections, poetry collections, essays, even blogs. The one thing all of these have in common is ... they're all about three pages in. And then I hit the brakes, hit save, and move on forever. I am really interested to know from people who have overcome or at least learned to work around and manage this - how do you overcome procrastination? Because mine feels something like writer's block at the same time in that, often the ideas just aren't there to put off writing down. Or i have an old project opened up because it feels like the right time to revisit it, but my head is simultaneously spinning wight thoughts of where to take it and no idea how to start. Few things feel as bad as sitting in front of the computer for over an hour and finally admitting that nothing is going to happen. How do you deal?
Great question! First of all, I'm so there. I have a ton of stuff I have started and never finished. In fact, MOST of the things I have written in the past are unfinished. And the allure of not finishing my 100 Theme Challenge (on my blog) is soooo there. I could move on and do something else :) Next, I've stopped procrastinating as much since I've been working on the 100 Theme Challenge. What's happened? Well, I found something really easy to do. I know, I know. We all want to write the next bestselling novel, be the next Dan Brown or Stephen King. But you know what? Nothing's going to happen if I don't make it happen. And that's big. Perhaps the biggest idea that I will ever have. If I don't do something, then nothing (when it comes to my writing) will ever happen. With the 100 Theme Challenge, I am writing each post, timing myself for 10 minutes--which can be a HORRIBLY long time if you're not sure what you're writing about, and then I post it to my blog. Without major edits. And I leave a comment after it, talking about what I'm doing, what I thought of what I've written, or if I really think it was as horrible as I expected. What this is actually doing is making me sit down and write for 10 minutes a day. It doesn't matter if the "ideas aren't coming"--you write anyway. And you write for the length of time you set, regardless of what you're actually writing down. The timer is extremely important. It makes me write for 10 minutes. Sure, one or two of those minutes might be trying to figure out what I want to write, but it's a way of telling my brain that I'm writing and my Muse better pop up during that time if she wants to be heard. She doesn't always show up, but that's ok. What's important is that I show up. Not only am I writing, but I have a set and stated goal. I want to finish this 100 Theme Challenge--and I'm on something like Day 30. I have also reached the point where this is now WORK to reach my goal. 100 themes, 100 days--pretty easy to think about. Well, now there are OTHER things I want to do. But I also have set up accountability. No one might read my blog on a daily basis--and there are times that it feels like it--but, if someone does drop by, I want them to know that I'm doing something. I'm not just starting to write a series of posts and then stopping. They have a reason to return, if they want to read more or to participate. Notice it's not accountability to me. Often I'm more than happy to sit down and read blogs or the news or what not. It's an accountability to something else. In my case, to readers who I eventually want to gain the respect of and writers, just like me (and Heather) who want someone to help them through the difficult stage of getting started. So, to wrap up: 1. Nothing's going to happen if you don't make it happen. This is probably the key to life as far as I'm concerned. :) 2. Set a very specific, daily, timed goal that you can reach over a period of time. A month is a good timeframe. Anything less and it'll be too easy. I think you really do have to get to that specific point where you push on because you have set your mind to finish what you started, regardless of how good or bad it is. As an example, my stated goal is: to write 100 themes from the 100 Theme Challenge List, 1 theme for 10 minutes a day. (Honestly, it doesn't matter if I stay on theme, get off track, write about something completely different. As long as I write and post it. And if I miss a day, I just move on and do it the next day.) 3. Make yourself accountable to someone/something other than yourself. It doesn't matter who or what it is as long as YOU think it's important. What do you think? Are you ready to stop procrastinating? If so, what are your set goals? How can I (or others in the group) help you with being accountable to something?
Replies
  • Another website, for getting the home in order, makes Wednesdays the anti-procrastination day. It worked for me for awhile, but then... perhaps one day a week I should plan to write and not procrastinate. Think I'll post this to the group. Thanks for your post. Got me thinking. : )

• The only thing that has ever worked for me is accountability.  Sometimes, it is posting a serial on my site so "people" expect me to post on given days.  Other times, it is having a writing partner - someone you tell your accomplishments to, your progress.

I've tried deadlines and goals and they never work.  Partially because deadlines and goals generally have metrics that simply don't work for creative ventures. For example, say I didn't do any writing today, but I brainstormed and researched the next two chapters.  But that wasn't my goal.  My goal was 1000 words per day.  I didn't write any.  It wouldn't matter that I wrote 10,000 words on Sunday.

I guess a part of it is just being more creative and flexible with your goals.  I don't do daily word count goals.  Partially because I have a tendency to only write once a week, even if it averages 5-10,000 words on that day or more.  I spend most of my time brainstorming and researching so I guess my goals should be less metrics based like: figure out the vampire hunter's motivation and how she'd react to being turned.  I think, when I start my next project, I'll set aside weekly and daily goals.  The weekly goals will be word counts.  The daily goals with be more like to do lists.  I'll pick a day to work on a specific problem and fix it.  Pick a new problem for each day.

• I should be working on my writing right now, but instead, I am sitting here trying to figure out how to get my son to stop putting off doing his school work - and I realize, he has inherited my procrastination gene! He is a master procrastinator! But, I have noticed, like me, he does work well under pressure - so perhaps we procrastinate in order to create a looming deadline and therefore produce our best work!

• I did a talk at our local library about writers' block called "How to Gag Your Inner Critic". I think most of the problems with procrastination and writers' block are due to fear of failure (I know mine are).  Check out my blog at http://penpaletteheart.wordpress.com/   

You might find the suggestions there helpful.  I think that your idea of writing from the 100 Theme Challenge list is excellent by the way.  Also holding yourself accountable to something (like a blog) is a good plan.

• I read a mention of a software that, apparently, is used by Nick Hornby, Nora Ephron, Dave Eggers, etc. etc. to combat the procrastination demons.

http://macfreedom.com/ (Don't you just love the name, "Freedom?" It asks the question in this little dialogue box "How many minutes of freedom would you like?")

Such a simple concept. Stay away from the internet and write... but ahhh we are so weak in the face of temptation, so it makes it really hard for us, even impossible, during the period we set. (Spoiler: if you reboot you can get back online, but the deterrent is strong).

I might try the free download. Anyone using it?

• When I start to procrastinate I  make lists, If I don't feel like I can write ...... at the moment I grab my  " idea' book.

sometimes it's just a statement, a conversation, a description of something, that I don't want to loose, I write it in the

" idea book"  then when I start writing I pull out the idea book and fill in the blanks...... sometimes it's just pure procrastination and there is not a cure for that......  Maybe a walk

• Something I do when I have a great idea but I know I'll be done after one sit down is PREPARE! I always get my ideas at night which is inconvenient because I'm also sleepy. But once I have a story I want to tell, I load up on energy drinks or caffeine and just write until I'm dying for sleep. I've used this method a few times (when I didn't have to worry about missing work or class) and I once wrote an entire short story in 8 hours. I finished it in the one sitting (thank you caffeine) and now its one of my favorite projects. This ma not be the best of ideas health-wise but It's worked for me several times.