Hi There! And New Member Intro
Posted by
Hi, I'm Annie. I'm definitely a Mother Writer. I'm a homeschooling mom to three boys, ages 9, 7 and 3. Since my lifestyle requires giving a lot to others, writing allows me to do something for myself. My writing takes various forms. I have two blogs. Learn at Every Turn addresses secular, creative, enriched homeschooling. Curious Mind Garden is my personal creative journal. (As such, it's a bit neglected at times. :) ) I am an editor for my sons' curriculum company, Moving Beyond the Page. I write book reviews for the San Francisco Book Review. I write poetry and have been published is some small publications. I aspire to write children's picture books using verse. It's nice to find a group of other writers with whom I have common issues! Annie
Replies
  • I am new to this forum also. I just published my memoir Journeys: a grand adventure about the year I separated our family and took our 13 year old daughter out of school on a one year round the world adventure. It was very interesting and empowering. www.judyedwards.com
  • Hi Annie, I'm a homeschooling mom too. We have five kids (ages 9-17). It's a little crazy with four teens in the house, but definitely good. So interesting to watch them grow and mature. We've loved homeschooling (most days!). My oldest graduates in May, so we're checking out colleges now. I absolutely understand writing for yourself. It's a great outlet. Take care, happy homeschooling, and all the best with children's books in verse. I think it's a great idea!
  • Hi everyone! I'm new to the group, as well. I have 2 girls, ages 3 and 1, and we're planning on homeschooling them, too. It's definitely a juggling act finding time to write, but it keeps me sane and I'm a much better mama when I've gotten at least a bit of a daily word count in! I have a book coming out Sept. 14 from Simon & Schuster, Dark Moon of Avalon, which is the second in my Trystan and Isolde trilogy. Nice to meet everyone and it's great to be here!
  • Hi Everyone, I just joined the group as well. I have two boys, a 6 year old and a 2 year old, and I work from home as a copyeditor/proofreader. I have a BA in English Literature, and am applying to attend school in the fall for an MFA in Creative Writing in order to focus on my fiction, and with the goal also of teaching on the college level. For me, working from home means working all the time, but somehow I manage to carve out some space, usually in the wee hours, for creative endeavors. I have worked in book publishing for 20 years, with literary agents and at publishing houses, and now I'd like to make my own writing the main focus of my work. Regarding the homeschooling issue, there is a vibrant home schooling community in my area and I am looking into it. I think the home schooled children here have access to so many things--all of the museums and science centers, home improvement stores, etc., hold classes especially for homeschoolers on a regular basis, and the homeschoolers meet themselves at least once a week just to get the children together for activities. I consider home schooling at least once a month, especially when I consider the cost of private schools in my area, but I haven't managed to figure out how to fit it into my schedule yet!
  • Hi there, I am Melanie. I am a screenwriter and a novelist. I received a Masters in Dramatic Writing from New York University eons ago and have been writing screenplays for a little over a decade. I am currently working on a novel - an amateur cozy mystery set in New York City’s upper West Side. When I’m not chasing two active little boys (5 and 3 years) and tending to a my newest baby boy (4 months old) as well as working on my writing projects, I write book reviews for a national magazine. I am really excited to be a part of this group. It’s great to be here.
  • HA! HarperCollins just asked me to answer a list of questions for my author site there, and one of them was about favorite TV shows. I said Tom and Jerry--I don't watch any TV but its critical for me for the kids. I also resisted the idea of writing in the early mornings, until recently, you can read about that here:
  • I have no idea. Bookmark it? Hmmm. Someone more internet literate? I am working on a blog right now for my professional blog (the chandrahoffman.com one) about my time working in Romanian orphanages, since they just exhumed the dictator and his wife's bodies, has me thinking about that again... one of the most influential times in my life. My homeschool one is more for my state portfolio, but I imagine the kids and I will have fun with it. Thanks for reading!
  • Hey writers who are moms who are writers, Great to (virtually) meet you all. I am a freelance writer with a 6 year old daughter and nearly 5 year old son. I have one published play "Maybe Baby, It's You" (Dramatic Publishing, Inc.) and a humor blog "Earth Mother just means I'm dusty" www.dustyearthmother.com. I'm very excited to find other moms who are trying to figure out how to work without putting the kiddos in front of the TV. Let's talk! Shari