Origins of a Fire Witch
Posted by
Hollywood likes origin stories, and so do I. I find it intriguing to go back before the hero was the hero, the villain, villainous. What was this character's childhood like? What happened to make them who they are? Our past informs our present. Our present informs our future. We are linear beings (unless, of course, you're a time-traveler). At some point, I came up with the idea to write an origins story for a fire witch. Actually, I have an origin story in mind for four different witches, each one a practitioner of elemental magic (Fire, Earth, Air, and Water). I am pleased to announce that my story, Heart of the Salamander, has just been published in the current issue of The Lorelei Signal. It is my fire witch origins story, and I'm so thrilled it found a home. And I LOVE the illustration for the story by Lee Kuruganti. I wrote about an amulet, and she drew it (pun intended) right out of my imagination. Oh, I want it. Anyone out there make jewelry? Here's a little blurb; Heart of the Salamander By Ripley Patton Maddy's entire life has been cursed by fire. Her parents were killed by it. Her body and heart have been scarred by it. And now her village has gone up in flames and Maddy is being accused of wielding, through witchcraft, the one thing she hates most. What happens when you hide from the fire in your heart? And what happens when you finally embrace it? For the rest, you'll have to run over and read it. And don't forget to vote for your favorite story and illustration in the reader's poll!
Replies
  • Ooh, I'd love to read more about Maddy. I had a feeling that the end of the story was just the beginning. Guess she has to take a number and get in line! Better to have too many novel ideas than not enough :)
  • Oh, I'm glad you liked it Kam. There is a potential Maddy novel in the strange working of my mind, but it is in a line of novel ideas, so she must wait.
  • Ripley, I just read the Heart of the Salamander. Loved it! And the illustration is lovely too. I've always dug salamanders :)
  • The amulet is way cool. My only teensy-weensy complaint is that the story describes it as being on a silver chain, and in the illustration it is hung on a lavender ribbon. But I find most illustrations have niggling details like that wrong because the artist goes off a story synopsis, not the actual, finely-detailed story.
  • Haven't read the story yet--just wanted to check out that medallion. And yes, it IS something. So cool! Congrats on the publication, too, btw. Will finish the story when I get more than 5 minutes at a time to sit and read.