To E-read or Not to E-read
Posted by
I read a piece recently titled "Small Stores See Google as Ally in E-Book Market" and wondered if this would work. I love bricks and mortar stores because I love to browse - and because I'm not sure how easy it will be for new voices to find audiences if we don't have booksellers recommending books. Thoughts? Other news?
Replies
  • I don't care for e-books myself. In theory it's supposed to help younger people read more, and to create an easy way of finding and getting a hold of books you enjoy...But here are also so many problems. They are on screens, so it causes eye injury, young people should be incouraged to less screen time as oppossed to more screen time to preserve eye sight, because your eyes are important. And the Kindle things are designed to break down after so may years, so is is possible to lose your entire "library".

It doesn't seem like it's real to me, because so much written knlowlegde can be lost in an instant. I don't participate in it and I discourage it by encouraging people to get real books.

• I'm of two minds on the subject.  I have a Nook and love it.  I also really love books and still spend a great deal of time in the bookstores.  I'm with you:  browsing physical books is an important experience, and I'd hate to lose it.  I'm also worried (as you are) that the ocean of potential writing may become so vast, that only those already established will make it to the top of the crest, while everyone else will get lost in the ditch.
  • Never thought I would embrace it, but had a kindle in my hands for the first time last week and WOW.  I love that no matter what I'm reading, the book weighs the same.  I can take it with me soooooo easily.  I can highlight and make notes.  And I don't have to pack boxes of books when we move!  Then I heard that NOOK has touch screen version now, so I'm investigating that now, too.  It all just opens up so many other additional possibilities for reading, finding interesting new material, publishing.

I will say though, that I am -- probably always will be -- a lover of the kinds of books that are handmade, or those short run, handbound, graphic novels, like what Lindy Medley did with that first volume of Castle Waiting -- that "hand made" edition sold out in no time -- and I can't even find copies of it for sale anywhere anymore:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=82

Just saw, too, that her Volume 2 is out in hardback...again, I think it's one I'd want print. 

But here's to expanding my formats and embracing the eReader, too!

k-

• Hi Guy's, Here is a bit of news from across the water in good old blighty! News update taken from The Express newspaper, dated 10.4.10. Sales figures show a remarkable rise in the numbers of readers in the thirty-something bracket who have developed a passion for Mills and Boon novels. The boom is being put down to electronic reading gadgets that allow people to enjoy romantic fiction in secret without the supposed embarrassment of being seen with an old-fashioned bodice ripper. Digital Mills and Boon sales have risen by 57% at Tesco in the five months since the Sony reader went on sale. (Tesco in England is one of our largest chain supermarkets.) PS. I love the term old-fashioned bodice ripper!! Susan
  • What I like the most about ebooks is the varieties of genres and books. The genres allow for readers of cross-genres or rare genres to find books they like too. It's a refreshing thing then having to just read the same type of books. I also like the variety of authors. I'm discovering some amazing authors who may not be in print, but are definitely talented. And Dasaya, it's mainly true about ebook authors making more than print authors. I'm a print author. My last two books were with one of the big guys and I know how hard it is for a traditionally published author to make money off books. A lot of ebook authors I know sale much better than print authors. One lady paid her mortgage on her ebook sales alone! Can't remember the last time the average print author could say that on just one royalty check. I also know that if an ebook author can get books out fast, they do make more money than a print author because they can make money off their backlist at a rate a print author never could. The best part about epublishing is there is a higher royalty rate AND the authors get paid every month instead of only twice a year. Also, with ebooks becoming more popular, print sales are only gonna get lower. It's just the sign of the times. My next book comes out with a print house but it's also gonna be on Kindle and I'm gonna make it my first priority to push the Kindle version even more than the paperback because that's where the money is these days, ebooks. Best Wishes! http://www.stacy-deanne.net
  • I saw an interesting statistic in Publisher's Weekly (I think it was PW) this morning: for the first 4 months of this year, ebook sales were 55% of mass market paperback sales. And ebook sales for May were up 167%, while print book sales were down a few percent. Hmmm....
  • For me, tradition and the love of books and libraries says that I wish there would always be some type of "in-print" manifestation of works. However, my realistic side says that I think we'll see less books in the coming years. e-books are becoming more popular and with the e-reader technology getting more advanced (read: less expensive), people will start to buy more of them. Also, as a writer, I know that if I produce an e-book today, I make more money on that than I do a traditional printed book. That's an incentive for a writer. You also can have a tremendous amount of control over your stuff and publishing it. It's easy to publish an e-book and it's also easy to get it onto certain readers like the Android and iPhone markets; Audible. Then there are those Amazon and Barnes & Noble people ...
  • I share the same unease! Clearly, since so many serious readers of books also enjoy the ease of e-books, bookstores to survive will have to find a way to carry both formats. Another aspect of the bricks and mortar store is the atmosphere. In my neighborhood B&N drove out all the small stores years ago, and we all lamented it. But B&N did something right - with the cafe, the magazines to browse through - and most especially the bathroom! - it created a welcoming atmosphere. It's almost a day care center, some days, but hey, the little ones are learning to love books. The smaller stores have to be nimble to survive, so maybe this will be part of the answer.
  • I got an ereader for Christmas this past year and I really love it. It's made it easier for me to read more books. I stopped going to bookstores (for books), about four years ago because they never carried books I wanted. I always had to end up ordering from Amazon after making a trip to several stores or calling around for them to say they don't carry what I wanted. One of my favorite genres Is Interracial Romance (which I also write) and bookstores don't carry many of those at all, if any. There are a lot of genres and a lot of authors that aren't even carried in stores and I find more options online. I'd prefer not to read print, but if the author's book isn't available in ebook form and I want to read it, I will but I'll order it from Amazon. Saves me the hassle and the time of someone saying, "We don't carry that but can order it." I can order it myself, LOL. I shopped at Barnes and Noble and Borders back when bookstores were the "in" places to buy books, but I wasn't lucky enough to find a salesperson who recommended books. Most of the workers didn't know where the books were or what was even sold in the stores. They had to get on the computer and find it for you, so they definitely didn't have the knowledge to recommend books to customers. LOL. I love the digital age though, just more books offered you won't find if not for ebooks. So many other genres, it's amazing. Best Wishes! http://www.stacy-deanne.net