Do We Have Grandmother Writers In The Group?
Posted by
I'm a grandmother and find it interesting how selective my daughter has been and is still in selecting books to read to her children. I wish that I had the knowledge about children books that she has when I was raising her back in the sixties. Although she is a child counselor for the school system, which gives her an edge, I she must say she has an inborn mother's concern of what her children hear/read. Early on, she would give me the most delightful books to read to her children. I know most of the best children authors by heart now. The illustrations used in the last decade alone can tell the story. Absolutely amazing. I found/find them as learning tools for little ones, and I almost always saw results immediately of how they learned from the readings. My youngest has ADD, and my daughter was instructed to read to her a lot and very loudly (sometimes animate) since my granddaughter's little mind is so active to keep her attention. These delightful books are a Godsend. If we have any grandmother writers, I would certainly like to commend you on your skills.
Replies
  • Hello Martha. Have you written the "funniest" stories of your grandchildren's exploits. I could fill a book with my granddaughters. I've been giving this quite a bit of thought as of late. I have several memoirs in the making, but just cannot seem to pull them together. During this dry spell (10 years), I've been giving a lot of thought to writing stories about my grandchildren. Yet, after many writing courses (10 years), I am concerned about the exposure of their personal lives. I have been advised to write the book as fictional rather than non-fictional. As always, there are stories of our children, but a bit harder to conjure up at my age. My granddaughters are recent examples of how children can cause belly laughs without the least bit of effort. Oh well, I suppose I'll chew my cud on this one for a while as well.
  • Hi Bonnie: I am a grandmother writer and author. My older daughter read to both my grandchildren until they were about 8 or 9 years old. With the advent of the Internet though, I find now that they are older (14 and 15) they are much more interested in web sites and video games than they are in reading. I fear it may become a lost art, just like simple, home-made games that used to amuse our young minds. Today, a game is not good enough unless it costs a lot of money and can be plugged into something. Just a few thoughts, Martha