Curator of the Week Mar. 28 - Apr. 3, 2010
Posted by
This week's Curator is Andrea Bredbeck. Andrea is a writer, artist, mentor, sculptor, Doula, and last but certainly not least a Psychotherapist. Be sure to check out her reviews of three of your fellow bloggers. If you look at only one other blog besides your own today, make it Andrea's, Andreaspeak. I had not had the chance to really look at it until this week, and I found myself enthralled, I think you might too.
Replies
  • Andrea, I do! I just sent a friend request, with a note that includes my blog URLs. I am enjoying reading your blog, especially the way that you use otherwise ordinary events and objects to write about broader issues.
  • Yeah! Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it. I'd love to have conversation about my blog and yours (assuming you have one) My address is: http://Andreaspeak.blogspot.com Do you have a blog? I'm having some trouble navigating this site so moving towards personal connections helps. Thanks again. Andrea
  • Thanks, Andrea, for alerting us to Linda's blog post. Linda's words describe very well the feeling of helplessness after natural disasters. I am in awe of the talent of SheWrites bloggers.
  • I agree with Andrea that Erika's post is well-researched, well-written, and, in general, a piece of excellent journalism as well as a thoughtful editorial. It's always a pleasant surprise to run across blogs that are as informative as they are engaging. Thanks, Andrea (and Erika).
  • Wow, Andrea, thank you for suggesting Sandra's post, which is both powerful and poignant. And Sandra, thank you for writing about such an important topic.
  • The third post I am choosing to review for this, my last during my first stint as 'Curator of the Week', is written by Linda Spear. She titled her piece: 'Desolation'. In her post, Linda describes witnessing the decimation of a neighbors house, trees and property from the safety of her home, right next door! The storm seemed to almost 'choose' a victim, and Linda takes the experience as an opportunity to increase her empathic connection to others less fortunate in the world. Linda writes with a soft touch. Her descriptions are lovely. I watched a movie of the swatch cut by the storm, in my minds eye as I read. This piece touched me, as I too, feel uprooted in my life in response to the flooding of the downstairs in my house. Thank you Linda, for reminding us of the old adage '...There are always those touched more gently and also those touched with a harsher hand...' (I can't credit this as I'm not certain of its point of origin.) AndreaBredbeck http://www.Andreaspeak.blogspot.com
  • The second blog post I choose to review is written by: Erika Klein and titled: 'Too Little Too Late'. Erika kindly posted an excerpt of her post here on SheWrites, with a link to the full piece published in 'The Mantle', a forum for progressive critique. With an excellent opening sentence "It was a letter that was heard around the world." I was gripped before I'd barely started. Of course I (being a writer) was immediately in postulation mode. "I wonder what letter one would choose as THE letter? It could be a 'Z'. Zee is always good for grabbing attention in its rare appearances. Or maybe an 'X', a personal favorite of mine." It's always wonderful to giggle alone. This chuckle brought me to thinking about a letter sort of 'letter'. Given the widely front and center news about healthcare in this country, I thought maybe I'd missed a plea of sorts from Obama. But no. This letter usurped anything I'd thought of. This letter was a letter of apology. Written by Pope Benedict, on behalf of the Catholic Church. He wrote it to the children of Ireland who have suffered a multitude of abuses by Clergy for generations. What is fabulous about this post, in addition to the excellent craft exhibited in the writing itself, is the comprehensive research job achieved by Erika. She manages to condense a multitude of pertinent information into a readable, interesting and provocative body of work. The post states the facts and then moves on to condemn what's glaringly missing in the Pope's words and therefore the Church's actions. I would highly recommend this piece. Thank you Erika. Andrea Bredbeck http://www.Andreaspeak.blogspot.com