The common thread of the word "spirituality"
Posted by
I have my definition of spirituality. I'm sure each one of us has a definition that is unique. When we use the word spirituality, what do you think the base common threads of the social context contain? For me, spirituality is not something outside of myself I am necessarily trying to define. spirituality is a process that unfolds as I become more aware of myself. How would you describe spirituality?
Replies
  • Thank you all for your responses. It has given me quite a bit to think about and I believe I was processing this thread on a subconscious level. I've been invited to do an article on this exact topic, so it brought the idea to full awareness.
  • Putting one foot in front of the other with my eyes wide open to the wonder and majesty in each moment.
  • For interest sake, here's the definitions I pulled… from Websters online dictionary; Spirituality Main Entry: spir·i·tu·al·i·ty Pronunciation: \ˌspir-i-chə-ˈwa-lə-tē\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural spir·i·tu·al·i·ties Date: 15th century 1 : something that in ecclesiastical law belongs to the church or to a cleric as such 2 : clergy 3 : sensitivity or attachment to religious values 4 : the quality or state of being spiritual
  • Hi Ami, I love the idea of discovering the meaning behind words, yet expressing one's belief system based upon what those words mean is not always easy. However, I think it is a very important exercise and thank you for taking us there, Ami. I'm going to give it a shot here… For me, spirituality is understood within a context of faith. Based on a foundation of Judeo-Christian faith and the Bible as the ultimate source of truth, I believe we are both body and spirit, that there is both a spiritual world and a natural world. I believe that we ultimately choose our place… good or bad… and our ultimate destination when life on earth is over. I believe God is good, and I believe he wants good for us. I believe he wants us to choose him. I believe God's Holy Spirit comes to live in me when I step over a line of faith and choose to follow God and his ways. The Bible calls the Holy Spirit a teacher, or a comforter sent by God, for us. That is my core spiritual make up, my spirit and God's spirit communing within me. I grow in awareness and understanding of God/Jesus/Holy Spirit through pursuing, choosing, obeying and honouring God in my life. 'Spirituality' is therefore part of every aspect of my life, not a separate entity. Nothing in my life is separate from God's influence, I'm just limited in my understanding of that. So, as you say, spirituality is a process… I agree. But where we differ is in what we are becoming aware of… I am convinced that the process is about becoming aware of God himself. I grow to know God in a love relationship with him… his character… his love… the grand narrative he has written for all of mankind, and my particular role in that narrative. For interest sake, here's the definitions I pulled… from Websters online dictionary; Spirituality NOUN 1 : something that in ecclesiastical law belongs to the chur... oops losing words here… I'll have to post a 2nd time with definitions…
  • Thanks Ami for posting a great question. I would agree with you that spirituality is an unfoldment process. I would only offer that, for me, this process should probably include being compassionate for any existing personal or external "untruth". This is a term I first heard when transcribing goddess Kuan Yin's channeled teachings on the law of attraction. She said (in Beneficial Law of Attraction): “There’s a balance that makes something holistic and in truth. What I am placing my hand upon is a dense conglomeration of stuck energy made up of certain ideas. Naturally, not all ideas are included in this energy. It needs certain elements, things sprinkled into it gradually. Having compassion for the ‘untruth’, that is what is missing. I’m sending compassion into this rock. One needs to slowly add elements of insight to reach truth..."-Kuan Yin
  • Good question, Ami! For me, "spirituality" necessarily has to do with seeking to make sense of ourselves in relation to a larger/higher reality. For some, that will be known as God; for Christians, it is certainly God the Creator who is also known through Jesus and the Holy Spirit; for Muslims, it will be Allah (though Arabic-speaking Christians may use the same name for God; for Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, and others, it will mean other things/beings. Some will view spirituality as mostly having to do with what is inside themselves -- their true essence -- but even that has to do with what goes beyond and is larger than our day-to-day, mundane existence. "Inspiration," on the other hand, for me would be anything that lifts the spirit, motivates, makes one feel "good." Heidi