Introduce yourself!
Posted by
Hi! My name is Minal and I am an aspiring novelist. I am currently working on a novel that takes place in Poona, India in the 1960s. My excerpts have received mainly positive feedback, but non-Indian readers often comment that they don't understand some of the cultural references. However, explaining every cultural reference will clearly slow down the pace and condescend to readers, so I'm looking for advice and support from other readers of Indian origin on how to negotiate these slippery issues. Also, I just like chillin' with Indian and South Asian women writers!
Replies
  • hi Minal! I am indian - my family is gujarati but my parents were born and raised in East Africa.  my grandparents were from India.  I am really intrigued by your introduction and your work.  I am working on a novel about three women who are american born with indian roots and childhood friends but grow apart when they get older and have various challenges (vague description i know!).  i think you are right about the cultural references.  what about footnotes? i don't see that in modern literature so much as i do in classical but i always thought it would be useful in south asian/asian writing to explain those cultural references that the reader may not know about.  anyway, i like to chill with indian/south asian women AND even better if they are writers! good luck writing!
  • Hi all!

I'm from India - I was born in Mumbai. I'm currently writing a multicultural children's book for kids like mine - half-Indian and half-Caucasian. :) Adriana Ryan is my pseudonym. It's great to "meet" you all!

• Hello! My name is Jordan and I have been experimenting with incorporating my Bengali and Muslim heritage into my work. I mostly have worked on writing stories that incorporate characters of South Asian descent into a broader framework (such as a YA novel including Bengali girls), but I would like to start writing work that focuses on South Asians exclusively or even something akin to a memoir.

For now, I am interested in hearing what everyone else is working on and how they incorporate South Asian themes in their works - whether its in touches, characters, or the whole package!

--

Jordan A.

My blog: The Cowation

• Hi, Although I'm not from India, I view India as part of my heritage. I also encounter questions about our cultural differences  and you are right. It can indeed be a slippery slope sometimes. Hopefully we can help. I think Indian women writers are  a necessity in our rapidly  revolving world of writing.