Moving my blog- hosting questions
Posted by
Currently my blog is hosted by Blogger, which has been fine. I do my own customizations, so it is unique even though it's Blogger. I am working on transitioning my blog to a custom site and would like to have both of my blogs accessible on one site (as opposed to having Blogger do a straight redirect). What services do you use for RSS feeds on a custom site? How many on here just use Blogger or Wordpress? I have thought about switching to WordPress because it seems to be easier to customize links, but I don't know if there are better options. Thanks for your input.
Replies
  • Can you transfer domain purchases there? I have purchased a dozen or so domains through godaddy, and their hosting is less than user-friendly.
  • Sorry I'm so dense. I know different versions of WordPress look different. For instance, on my version, "a little crossroads style arrow" doesn't appear when I hover over the text box, but I do have an "add" box, so I'll try that. Thanks for your patience.
  • Under Available Widgets on the left hand side, you should be able to chose Text: Arbitrary text or HTML. When you put the arrow over a little crossroads style arrow will appear meaning you can click on it, hold down, and pull it over and up to where it says Sidebar 1. There should be a list on the right hand side of of the page of all the widgets you are already using, like the blogroll and pages, etc. You pull the text into that side of the page, that column and will be able to paste the code for the Shewrites badge into that box, give the text box and a name and put it in the right place, a bit like what can be done with your own Shewrites page.
  • You need to go to your widgets, which is under appearance and add a text box to your sidebar by pulling it across and putting it where you want in the side bar. Say under the categories. Then you can paste the code in there, save it, and it should show up in the sidebar :) Hope that helps.