Where have you placed or sent your mother-related writing?
Posted by

Let's get a list going of good outlets for publication of mom-related writing. I've published in Brain, Child and Literary Mama.

Other suggestions: Mothering, The MOM Egg.

What can you add so we can all beef up our submission lists?

Replies
  • Definitely the major women's mags, if you can get into them. And some NPR affiliates have radio reading gigs. I did one for KQED, the NPR affiliate in San Francisco.
  • Hi Mamas, In addition to Literary Mama, I have had pieces appear in HipMama, both print and online (they are separate entities from one another). Last summer I had a an essay about being a feminist mom published in Skirt! magazine's F-Word themed issue. Good luck!
  • I totally agree with that--they are very eclectic. (and sadly they are very white too. occasionally not, but this last issue for example you couldn't find an add, an image, or a piece with any color that I remember.) But, I still mean to get a piece there--and hopefully in so doing bring up some of my concerns with them. Congrats on your piece.
  • Great suggestions, all. Hopefully we'll be hearing more from others, but I'll chime in again on Brain, Child since it keeps coming up. I've been a subscriber for years because I happen to also love reading the magazine, but I'll say that unlike so many pubs (literary magazines in particular) that insist you should read them before submitting when really they have quite eclectic tastes, Brain, Child does seem to have a distinct voice. Reading it over the years has given me what I think is a pretty good sense of that voice, which is probably why I've had success placing there.
  • UGH. I just left a great post and deleted it. Harumpf. So here is a link to my in print page of my blog to get some ideas of great mommy-related venues. I said before (more eloquently) finding a real niche is important. Like I have a lot of adoption and race related publishing credits at this point. And now with the online presence I am slowly growing more and more seems to be happening for me on the outside too. The book is next. Also look into the "examiner" online--a national outfit that looks for lots of parenting writing and is paid too. Hope this helps. Catherine
  • If you go to their website, look for the submissions tab. They list what kind of material they're looking for and give deadlines.
  • I did a radio story for This American Life that was mom-related--(soon after my son's diagnosis with mosaic Down syndrome I tracked down a young man I "met" online who had mosaic Down syndrome and is very bright, funny, personable, everything any mom could hope her son to be. I found out that his mother kept his diagnosis from him and the world for sixteen years! They do the producing/taping so you need no radio expertise to interview/write for them if they accept your idea. Contact: [email protected] I also got a poem accepted by Literary Mama which thrilled me because they'd rejected a few things I'd sent them--but it was too late as minutes before their acceptance Radioactive Moat had accepted the poem. As others have mentioned, I've received encouraging personal responses from Brain Child, but no acceptance yet and it takes months for them to respond so I'm not sure I'll pitch again. babble.com might be a place to try...