Many voices but how many ears?
Posted by
I dunno. Sometimes I get a bit infuriated with all the shouting from rooftops. My wish for my site is that someone out there is actually inspired and encouraged to keep putting one word after the next because they came to The Story Spot. But honestly, I wonder if it's worth the effort. Sure I have followers and subscribers and get the occasional comment but truly, when it comes down to it, people seem busy accumulating stats rather than connecting in any meaningful way. I mean I engage other bloggers when they've struck a chord; I let them know they've become part of my life for that moment. They've offered me something I found valuable and I thank them for it by participating. I'm expecting too much, aren't I? I wonder what your thoughts are no so much on audience-building but on keeping the will to blog sustained when it can feel so, well, writerly here in blogland.
Replies
  • You too? Jessica's right. You all are out there reading away. Hmm. Okay. So that's an amazing thing! But then there's what Julie implies (correct me if I misinterpret) but do we have to blog about our writing projects in order to sell them? That seems totally time-consuming and self-centered. I mean, I'M not going to read about someone's book until I read the book. Know what I mean? And I'm probably not going to read about an author I'm unfamiliar with unless they're connected to me personally in some way. That's what press is for, isn't it? And really, how much can you go on about on a blog unless it's about your life as related to the work? Maybe I'm missing the point? My writing work inspires me create posts and creating posts clears my head for the writing work. Plus I hope every day that someone out there is getting something from it all. I haven't built a salivating audience for my novel or anything through it. But then again, that wasn't the point, was it? Oi again. /djw
  • Diane, Wow, what perfect timing, I have been thinking much the same thoughts but with a much louder internal critic ... meaning not only do I wonder if anyone is out there but I wonder if my writing is good enough to be read by anyone. I go through phases of feeling like my blog is really just for me and it just keeps me sometimes doing some type of writing, even if it is bad writing. But then I read some article in Writer's Digest or something about no publisher is going to do a thing for you or your book, you have to bring the audience and the onloy way to build the audience is through websites and blogging. I don't have enough to say on the topic of writing, I'm new to it (relatively). I certainly am not ready to put any portion of my memoir out there ... it is just now going to a pofessional editor, so how do I build an audience with no product to show??? Too depressing sometimes. As an aside, I love the Story Spot,often times I don't feel like I have the cred to comment on much of anything, I use it more for inspiration and learning, and pass along some of your great links etc. to other writers I know who might not yet have found you. I at times think maybe I should quit the blog until I have something more concrete to focus on (the book if/when it is going to get published or writing if I ever feel like I know anything that would be valuable to others), but then I feel like if I quit the blog then I am just giving up before I even started and will have nothing to show any agent or publisher of what I might be trying to do to "build a platform". Don't dismay, you (and the Story Spot) are a shining beacon for those of us still stumbling around in the dark. Julie Jeffs Beginning a Life at 50 http://juliejeffs.blogspot.com
  • Judith, you've made a great point. There's the time it takes to read, and the time it takes to reply. I have (probably too many) blogs listed in my Google Reader and enjoy escaping from my daily drill to give a read to the latest entries. I follow them faithfully, but do I comment? Only when the subject strikes a chord. If the subject grabs me, I'll make time to leave a comment. As far as my own blog, I just keep putting it out there. Like other first-time authors I'm watching the publishing landscape shift and wondering where my manuscript fits in the picture. When I find bits of information that clear the picture on finding an agent, or using social media, or anything else that seems valuable, I share it with others. I try to generate discussion and sometimes it works. Most times I get a line or two from my faithful followers and that's it. Ginger B. http://coppertopcollins.blogspot.com www.gingerbcollins.com
  • Here's another thing. These days were deluged with information which makes all of us selective in what we are actually willing to read. Also, for years, with the advent of email, survey data has shown people don't read like they used to; they prefer their information in short blasts. That's why Twitter has become so popular.
  • I hear ya! That also happens to me. Seems the posts I spend more time working on and polishing up are the ones that garner far less comments then other "fluffy" ones that I just whip out. I wonder if they are too long and involved and readers want something quick to read during a work break or something? I dunno. So when I get discouraged about that, I remind myself that the time I spend thinking and writing and re-writing a blog post also helps me develop as a writer (since I am a burgeoning fiction writer). And, ultimately, that is why I started blogging in the first place. Just sucks that, sometimes, as Diane said, I'm only shouting from the rooftops.
  • It is kind of a downer to take so much time blogging often and have hardly any comments or acknowledgements. Sometimes I want to yell "Hello? Anybody out there?". I know exactly what you mean. Just remember that people ARE reading it, and that if you're leaving comments on other people's blogs, they'll eventually come on over to yours as well! Wouldn't it be great to see some statistics on blogging and selling books vs. not blogging and selling books?
  • Victoria, I just don't know. I've been a ghost-blogger (no comment on that pls...) for a high-profile person and recommended that the staff spend regular time trolling blogs and leaving meaningful comments not only in an effort to pick up readers but to genuinely engage people in somewhat weighty discussion (he was a political figure, of sorts, with influence). I can't say much came of it, even when we scored the coveted slot on HuffPo. I do that for my own blog now but on a MUCH more casual basis and not with intent to gain readers--perhaps my mistake? I tell you, we worked every trick in the book as a full-time team and still, the blog did what it did. It was no Perez, if you know what I'm saying. Which brings me to Ruth's thoughts... Ruth, I love the optimism in what you've said. One thing I firmly believe is that when we touch our audience deeply, right at their centres, then popular subjects don't matter. Trouble is, that's quality over quantity, isn't it? Oh writers. We are never satisfied. Love me but don't love me too much lest I be seen as a hack. Oi. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and conversation on this. I feel totally jaded at times and then, ten minutes later, reinvigorated and inspired. Glad I'm not alone there. /djw
  • Diane, I hear you. I feel the same way. Actually, it's something I've been slowly talking about with other bloggers this week. One thing I have noticed that makes me a little crazy is that I can work long and hard on a post for my memoir blog and usually end up with no comments, but then throw something quick and small up on the mom blog and get a lot of feedback. Granted, there are more readers there, but I know there are readers over yonder too. Another thing I see often is comments on Facebook or Twitter, which is nice, but I wonder why the comments end up there instead of on the blog? One thing I am instituting just now, you've probably already gotten this licked, is keeping a regular schedule and setting aside time to also read and comment on other blogs. It's the only thing that I have found to really work at all and it takes gobs of time, doesn't it? I'd love to hear more thoughts and solutions, because it is indeed hard to keep the momentum going. --Victoria Penny Jar Mama's Experience Initiative
  • The last decade has brought such changes to our "voices". Who you choose to listen and speak to is ever changing depending on what grabs your attention the most. So what we need to share are inspirational stories and quality writing. If not, we will be drowned out by the rest of the noise. You can't expect anyone out there to continue to follow you unless you really have something exciting and interesting to share. What is popular today will change by tomorrow. Don't get discouraged. Just keep writing.