Recommend your favorite books, please!
Posted by
I want to start reading more speculative fiction/surrealism, especially by contemporary authors. Can anyone recommend any books?
Replies
  • How has no one mentioned Isabel Allende yet? She practically created the magical realism genre. Adriana, I would highly recommend reading any of Allende's books if you are interested in surrealism/magical realism. And, although her memoirs are obviously non fiction, they are incredible, moving masterpieces of the human spirit.

• Fludd and by Hilary Mantell. She's now famous for Wolf Hall but this early book of hers is just wonderful. Also Into Black by the same author

The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherill

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaimon

Totally with you on Too Loud A Solitude - I spend a lot of my time in the Czech Republic and they love the surreal. Of course there is always Kafka

• There are some really great anthologies, though not so “contemporary”: Black Water, ed. Alberto Manguel; The Literary Ghost, ed. Larry Dark; What Did Miss Darrington See?: An Anthology of Feminist Supernatural Fiction, ed. Jessica Amanda Salmonson. 

• Most novels by Robert Rankin but especially The Da Da De Da Da Code. Equally anything by Douglas Adams. Although Clive Barker is generally thought of as a horror writer, his novel Weaveworld leans more towards fantasy. The Word and the Void trilogy by Terry Brooks is also excellent.
  • For adult spec: Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, and for YA, Nancy Werlin's last two books, Impossible and Extraordinary
  • This sounds wonderful, thanks for the info! I am going to order Too Loud a Solitude now.
  • Have you read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? It is wonderful. Though it's not really surreal, it has a flavor in it like Marquez.
  • From African American authors try Mama Day by Gloria Naylor Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison Beloved by Toni Morrison Middle Passage by Charles Johnson