Movie Talk!
Posted by
It's time to dish. What films have you seen this week? New releases? Classics? Maybe a fave that you've watched time and time again? Thoughts? I'm thinking that this particular group will have a lot to say on the subject, n'est pas?
Replies
  • I'm watching Brokeback Mountain again for my screenwriting book chapters on Visual Grammar and Subtext. One thing I'm doing is showing how the scene where Heath Ledger's Ennis goes to Jack's family home is a superlative, perhaps unprecedented, example of subtext connecting to the audience's emotional feelings at the deepest level - and I'm crying for what must be the sixty-seventh time! Pauline www.unique-screenwriting.com
  • I'm watching Carol Channing fly through the air in gold lame leggings. Guess the film (never mind guessing why on earth I'm watching it). /djw
  • Love Christopher Guest but don't forget Ricky Gervais, esp the specials he did after the close of The Office (UK) and Extras. There's also the movie with Matthew Perry called... Three To Tango? Is that it?
  • What? You didn't love Deuce Bigalow? Shocking. ;) Bravo for getting your financing plan in gear. So many people just plain don't. You should find some luck, I think, especially with the LGBTQ project. I'll toot our own horn and recommend you watch "Anvil! The Story of Anvil." While actually a documentary, there'll be something in there for you I'm sure. There are all of Christopher Guest's films (but you know that), "American Teen", and bunches of comedies and romcoms based upon mistaken identity (I apologize that my brain is only giving up "The Nanny Diaries" right now...Sorry. But identity games are the rock foundation of comedy so I'm not worried about you finding references.) Anyone else. Help a sista out? /djw
  • Diane, you've stirred me to actually post. I've been watching three sorts of movies, Mockumentaries, ensemble pieces, and movies where one person pretends to be something they're not. I'm writing up a business plan to try to raise money to film my own script. And I'm trying to finish a second script to send off to Nicholl. The first script is an event based mockumentary (Think Best in Show). The second script is about someone mistaken for lesbian who decides to play along (Think Just One of the Guys) So I've watched The Office, On the 7th Day God Rocked, Pirate Radio (Great!), Mean Girls Let me know if anything there makes you think of a movie I've overlooked. And I never knew you could show others your votes on imdb! http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=5399973
  • Okay. Clearly (or not so) I meant Matchstick Men - no idea why I said Mad Men since I've seen that show once. WEIRD. :D Bethany Morrow said:
    I am currently restricted to my own DVD collection since I haven't gotten plugged up yet (new move and all). Of course, when you collect movies, that's not too bad. I've recently watched White Oleander ( which is a wonderful example of how one medium can perfect a story that struggled in its original form) - think it's indisputably a well presented story and Thomas Newman's score accounts for much of why it gets watched so much. :D His work also explains why I recently watched A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've always been addicted to the score and when I was a kid I couldn't figure out why I had to watch certain scenes in Land Before Time so repeatedly. Until I found out who James Horner was. It all made sense after that. :D On my drive from California to Montreal, I watched mostly Disney movies (since my 5 yo son was sitting in the middle of the Uhaul cab and makes executive decisions). Also watched Mad Men - another Alison Lohman picture, music by Hans Zimmer. :D Always in my queue - Collateral (particularly for the Requiem piece that overlays James Newton Howard's score at the end); The Hours (too many reasons to list exhaustively: love work that inspires me to work, Philip Glass's score...); Yentl; 7 Brides for 7 Brothers; Gigi; Kiss Me Kate; .... This is horrible - I'm going to watch a movie now.
  • I am currently restricted to my own DVD collection since I haven't gotten plugged up yet (new move and all). Of course, when you collect movies, that's not too bad. I've recently watched White Oleander ( which is a wonderful example of how one medium can perfect a story that struggled in its original form) - think it's indisputably a well presented story and Thomas Newman's score accounts for much of why it gets watched so much. :D His work also explains why I recently watched A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've always been addicted to the score and when I was a kid I couldn't figure out why I had to watch certain scenes in Land Before Time so repeatedly. Until I found out who James Horner was. It all made sense after that. :D On my drive from California to Montreal, I watched mostly Disney movies (since my 5 yo son was sitting in the middle of the Uhaul cab and makes executive decisions). Also watched Mad Men - another Alison Lohman picture, music by Hans Zimmer. :D Always in my queue - Collateral (particularly for the Requiem piece that overlays James Newton Howard's score at the end); The Hours (too many reasons to list exhaustively: love work that inspires me to work, Philip Glass's score...); Yentl; 7 Brides for 7 Brothers; Gigi; Kiss Me Kate; .... This is horrible - I'm going to watch a movie now.