Let me Introduce Myself-I am Gawni
Greetings Grandmother Writers- I love this opportunity as i am new to She Writes. As a recent member, the grandmother-group called to me. I am a grandmother to 9.4 grands---the .4 is our daughter Olivia and husband James first baby boy who is due on Feb. 3rd. Seven of our angels call me Gawni because when our oldest grandson (now 18) was only 2, he could not pronounce Grammy; so it has been forever Gawni. Our 3 year-old grandson Gavin Cruz for some reason, has always called me Baby Poppa and he calls my husband Big Popp-Too Sweet! I am an author, Feng Shui practitioner, and a loving grandmother. This year has found me writing about my grands because i am completing my book-The Starr Children of Now. This is the very first ever group i have ever been in. Joyous newness spreading its wings. Blessings to all Glorious Grandmothers-as we are indeed blessed~
Replies
  • Hello all you grandmothers, I am Dearma to my 14 grandchildren all of whom live within a 10 mile radius of my home and who came to me from 3 children. My eldest, a daughter, has 8 children--6 biological and adopted twins from Liberia. Her oldest is 16 and the youngest is 2. My middle child, a son, has 2 children, and my baby has 4 kids. His first born arrived the day before he graduated from high school ,and he carried his son through the receiving line introducing him to his teachers as they shook his hand to congratulate him on graduating. The happy ending is that one month later he married the baby's mother and 15 years later they are still married and part of a team who do couples workshops at their church. Can you feel the pride swelling through this post? I'm retired and have a small freelance business, doing all manner of writing from newsletters to theater reviews. I have two self published, non-fiction books that combine oral history and personal narrative: Between Two Women and The Right Sisters. I also maintain three blogs with this one, Twilightme, being the place where my grandkids are most frequently are featured. Looking forward to engaging with other writing grandmothers.
  • Greetings Gorgeous Grands, What a treat to hear from everyone. We live in the beautiful AZ White Mountains. Yes in some parts of AZ there are four seasons--who knew? We are surrounded by Pine and Oak trees in an enchanted forest that we share with wild life. Fall is being ushered in as the trees are beginning to turn crimson, purple and gold. We still have a great deal of Evergreens & Blue Spruce colors yet to enjoy along the way. Four of our grand children live in our town-only five minutes away. Happily the others live very close with only a 3 hour drive to the Phoenix sub-metro area. We are delighted to see them on a weekly basis too. Last week Gavin Cruz's wonderful mom Tracy told this energetic 3 year-old to get dressed for a field trip to our local Farmer's Market. He was so excited however upon arriving, he asked his mom where the horses and cowboys were. He had dressed for a ranch/farm visit as he wore his cowboy boots, darling tee-shirt with a horse motif, underneath this tee was his dad's leather belt wrapped twice around and securely buckled. Luckily, there was home made chocolate ice cream to help soften the blow. When they came over to give us organic veggies, Gavin Cruz was content to play the rest of the day at our home in his sandbox with his plastic horses and trucks. This week we are taking him to a horse farm-boots, belt, and all! Over the years, I have learned to write these gem-like experiences down in a separate box dedicated to each grand. One thinks they will remember, but with time these little gems could fade away. Make it a Grand Day~
  • I'm thinking about Sharyn and Ruth--21.4 grandchildren between them! And I'm just entering grandmotherhood with my first! Share the expertise, women!
  • Aloha to all! I am an artist as well as a writer. I have some of my artwork atthis site.. I also have twelve grandchildren and the oldest will be twelve next year. Three were born the same year. I had four children and they have provided these loving, beautiful children. Only four of the grandchildren live near me here in Hawaii. The rest are in the mainland. I try to go there a couple of times a year. I also do square-foot-gardening, bicycling and blogging as you can see at this site. My pen name is Elayne - sounds more tropical.
  • Hi Sharyn: You are so right! We are very blessed. I have two awesome grandchildren - an over-the-top smart 13-year-old names Andy, who also plays hockey. Also Hannah, who is 14 and just started high school. Hannah is a beautiful blue-eyed blonde but unfortunately is mentally delayed, so she takes special classes. I love them both to pieces! Now, I'm waiting for my younger daughter to marry and bring me some more grandbabies. They are such a joy. I am a writer of various genre - paranormal, true crime, adventure and more. I love to test my abilities trying different writing styles and techniques. I just found this group too, so I'm slowly getting to know the members here.