Writing about our children
Posted by
There's an interesting forum on the NYTimes about what it is and isn't alright to write about one's kids. When do you draw the line? At a certain age? At certain behaviors?
Replies
  • I wrote a post about this a short time back, Mark Sichel: Burning Mom’s In the Town Square, which I have since linked over here to my SheWrites blog. I intended to bring it forward to discuss with the 'mommy writer' groups I have signed on with. I think the over arching issue is fascinating as a stand alone issue, but I think exploring the broader intersections with issues like women's rights, feminism, gendered analysis etc is really important. After all, you never know when the 'Mommy Police" may show up on your blog doorstep ;)
  • I don't write about my older kids (ages 8 and 9) because I asked them how they felt and they decided they would rather I did not. My mom blog focuses on my identical boys who are almost three. As they get older and become more socially aware, I'll chat with them about it too. I would never want my children to feel betrayed or exposed. It's just not worth it.
  • Rarely do I write about my kids, but they do inspire many of the stories or subjects I find myself thinking about, developing and submitting. My reason is because I choose this life that is somewhat public, they haven't. With their permission I've written specifically about their early childhood but refrain from the teen issues we're experiencing now... for obvious reasons.
  • Kamy, I find it a very interesting question and not just in writing but across mediums. I did a piece about photographer-mothers and addressed how they treat their chldren from the other side of the lens. I also interviewed a bunch of mom bloggers, several of whom spoke about various age cut-offs or off-limit topics with regard to writing about their kids. I'm planning on interviewing some grown children of artists for my book on motherhood and creativity to get their take on having been the subject of their mothers' work. Let me know if you do the panel. If you need/want another participant, I'd be very interested. - Jennifer Kamy Wicoff said:
    Thank you so much for posting this -- I have been thinking of doing a Q&A with SW members Hope Edelman and Monica Holloway on just this topic! Please keep me posted on your thoughts, comments and ideas on this subject, I am so eager to hear.
  • Thank you so much for posting this -- I have been thinking of doing a Q&A with SW members Hope Edelman and Monica Holloway on just this topic! Please keep me posted on your thoughts, comments and ideas on this subject, I am so eager to hear.