Saturday Morning Cafe
Posted by
I've been thinking about ways to make the two groups (Mother Writer! and Wisconsin Writers) I started more interactive and fun. One thought was to have a weekly writing topic posted for Saturday mornings. This isn't meant to be a difficult writing assignment, just a topic for you to share a brief thought or memory as well as getting your muse up and out of bed. I'll post the first one today. After this I'll try to post on Friday nights so it will be fresh in the morning. Today's Topic: When I found out I was pregnant Good writing to you, --V
Replies
  • Okay, I've missed the last few weeks, but not tonight. I'm ready and I'm going to post a topic and hope that someone (or two, or three) wants to take the writing challenge. Tomorrow night my husband and I are going on a date, but not just any date, we're going to a steampunk carnival dressed to kill. I've had to dig through my prechildbearing club clothes and hope I could squeeze into something that would save a couple bucks off the cover charge and show off a little bit of moxie. Finally, it worked and I'm looking forward to shakin' it on the dance floor. With that in mind this weeks topic is: I dare to... "Write hard, die free"
  • Tonight I have nothing so wonderful as the old beats to fall back on. I am going to salute those of you embarking on a new school year. This week's topic: The first day of school...
  • Andrea, Thank you for writing. I find it so hard to interpret poetry and yet I love it. I decided I would let it be personal and I don't care if I get the symbolism wrong. Once I read it, it's mine. Andrea Heiberg said:
    Well, Ginsberg’s Howl still gets us to our knees, doesn’t it? It’s written in the good old days and still is a poem written by someone belonging to the young generation of modern writers. It’s so complicated for me to read and I need a hell of a lot of explanation to reach the point where I can make it mine and yet, I’m uncertain. Does he really say this? How far will I allow interpretation to conclude that the poem says either this or that?
    Since Ginsberg’s significance is obvious for the way I like to write poetry – all other poems easily become detours because you need to get a hold on this one to decide what kind of poet you are yourself.
    Well, back to Ginsberg, right?

E Victoria Flynn said:
    It's the weekend and the moon is full. I have half a headphone hanging off my head playing Ginsberg on You Tube. He didn't plan this when he wrote Howl and I feel wrong hearing it this way. This weekend's cafe topic:

When I heard it...

Good writing
  • Well, Ginsberg’s Howl still gets us to our knees, doesn’t it? It’s written in the good old days and still is a poem written by someone belonging to the young generation of modern writers. It’s so complicated for me to read and I need a hell of a lot of explanation to reach the point where I can make it mine and yet, I’m uncertain. Does he really say this? How far will I allow interpretation to conclude that the poem says either this or that? Since Ginsberg’s significance is obvious for the way I like to write poetry – all other poems easily become detours because you need to get a hold on this one to decide what kind of poet you are yourself. Well, back to Ginsberg, right? E Victoria Flynn said:
    It's the weekend and the moon is full. I have half a headphone hanging off my head playing Ginsberg on You Tube. He didn't plan this when he wrote Howl and I feel wrong hearing it this way. This weekend's cafe topic:

When I heard it...

Good writing
  • It's the weekend and the moon is full. I have half a headphone hanging off my head playing Ginsberg on You Tube. He didn't plan this when he wrote Howl and I feel wrong hearing it this way. This weekend's cafe topic: When I heard it... Good writing
  • Good Morning, I've already faltered in my duties. Its Saturday morning, time for a new topic. This week: When I was young Good writing
  • That's wonderful, Amy. Thank you for sharing. Amy Yelin said:
    j(I've combined your first and second writing prompts!)
    ust when I thought I was done I was pregnant again. One night without a condom like two reckless almost middle-aged children was it all it took. I found out on my 38th birthday, sitting on the toilet, urine stick in hand, and cried. Just when I thought I was done I would have ten more weeks of morning sickness, my body would morph again into something unwieldy and my depression would deepen to the point that even my 20 month old wanted nothing to do with me. Nine months passed and just when I thought I was done again my due date came and went. There would be ten more days of torturous waiting for the little boy with the enormous toes who tricked me into falling in love.
  • j(I've combined your first and second writing prompts!) ust when I thought I was done I was pregnant again. One night without a condom like two reckless almost middle-aged children was it all it took. I found out on my 38th birthday, sitting on the toilet, urine stick in hand, and cried. Just when I thought I was done I would have ten more weeks of morning sickness, my body would morph again into something unwieldy and my depression would deepen to the point that even my 20 month old wanted nothing to do with me. Nine months passed and just when I thought I was done again my due date came and went. There would be ten more days of torturous waiting for the little boy with the enormous toes who tricked me into falling in love.
  • When I found out I was pregnant I was skinnier than I'd ever been, (I saw it in a picture or I wouldn't believe it now). And it was a Sunday in February, the day after my birthday where I'd somehow managed to not overdo it with drinks even at the roller derby where they sold cheap beer in cans because there was some doubt in my head, some reason to believe that I'd gone to a psychic and she was right-the wait, wait, wait was over.