Introductions
Posted by
This thread is for us to get to know each other. Feel free to post anything other members may find interesting about you and your writing career. Welcome to the group!
Replies
  • Hi Diane, Thanks! I will definitely check out your publishing company. I'm working on a short story now that just might balloon into a novel. It's about the intricate and delicate relationship between employers and domestic workers in SA. It's an entirely new sort of relationship for me, and one that requires me to confront issues of race, class, identity, politics, history on a daily basis - and all while doing the dishes or making lunch! I will keep you posted. By the way, I had trouble following the discussion thread. I can see next to your name that you have commented, but I can't see your comment at the end of the "introduction" discussion. Am I missing something? Thanks again, Katherine
  • Very interesting, Katherine. I'm wondering, if and when a novel emerges from you, might you consider submitting to our publishing house? We're starting up and are looking for new writing and what you describe sounds so in line with our catalogue so far. Hey, you never know. Whenever you're ready. In the meantime, should you come across something similar in your editorial travels, do encourage them to check us out and submit. Personally, I'd love to read about your experiences so whenever you have a little something to share, do let the group know? Ok. I'm a sucker for displacement & identity stories. Good writing to us all. /djw
  • Hello everyone, Nice to be among Canadian writers, especially as I am not living in Canada at the moment. I moved to Cape Town, South Africa 2 years ago with my husband and 3 small boys. I'm an ex-academic, devoted and frazzled mother, and now a writer of fiction and creative nonfiction and Assistant Editor of the online fiction anthology, Page Forty-Seven. We moved here for work reasons but I've found that being displaced (and I do feel displaced and very Canadian) and living in a complex country such as SA has fueled my writing. Themes of identity and belonging creep in, no matter what I start to write. Looking forward to the discussion. Katherine
  • Hello. A little about myself. I'm a mother of two daughters. They are 11 and 18 years old. I am employed as a school crossing guard and enjoy my job very much. I began to write poetry when I became severely depressed. I discovered, that this was an outlet for me. I enjoy writing it and reading other people's poetry, blog, etc. I like to think that I have a poetic soul. My oldest daughter is a fa nominal writer. However, she has since stopped writing. She tells me she has "writers block". I get my inspiration from her or she gets me from me. Whatever it is,it's a gift. My writings are not of happy things. You can say they are are on the dark side of life and stem from my disease(depression). I have been writing poetry for almost six years. I journal to. Poetry is also like journaling. Some of my stuff is way out there. But "I'm Just Me". I hope to write a book soon and the title is going to be just that....."I'm Just Me" Will be a book about my poetry, my trials and tribulations and of course my most happiest moments. If this never happens, I am alright with that as well. Maybe someday, someone will write my story. Maybe my daughters. Glad to be here and I like to thank everyone for the very warm welcome. ~Denise~
  • Hello everyone - new girl here :) I'm a Canadian (have lived all over our great and beautiful country) but consider myself a West Coast Gal - I lived in Victoria, B.C for about 15 years. I'm a clinical therapist and a social worker, and in 2003 took myself off to work in The UK (Devon and London) for 5 years and then, with my husband (who is Australian) moved to sunny Brisbane, Queensland in 2007. The weather outside my window today is hovering at 85 degrees, beautifully sunny, with tropical birds, Cocteau and parrots screeching in the trees, accompanied by cicadas. It feels nothing at all like Christmas! As a writer, I write research and journal articles as part of my work - mostly around child protection, and related social justice and practice issues. Have one coming out as we speak on The Use of Critical Reflection in Hostile Work Environments. I am a poet, recently won the Queensland Poetry Competition - and am starting to gain some modest success with publishing in small press and poetry journals here in Australia. Unfortunately I feel like I have completely lost touch with my Canadian roots - and as a writer, it feels funny to be promoted as an Australian writer, when I still feel very much Canadian! I'm about ready to try for publishing a collection of poems. I write magazine articles and occasional book reviews - even a couple food reviews - which was just weird but kind of fun! I write some short stories, which I think suck but other people seem to like. I haven't worked that out yet; and ... I blog. I maintain two blogs at the minute, WrongSide is my primary blog which I just transplanted - my blog and I are both still grumpy about that move, but getting used to the new digs. And I also maintain a research, article based blog called E-Stranged, which is about Family estrangement. I am currently researching and writing a book on the topic. *whew* And now I am here! I guess you could say, as a writer, I write enough to regularly wear the 'e' out on my keyboard! Looking very forward to meeting you all and learning more about your work and projects! Thanks so much for having me here, Cheers, Fiona
  • Lily is fine, Diane. dianejwright said:
    Thank you for this, Lily (or do you prefer Lily Iona?). I'm guessing that your words will be inspirational to new writers who struggle with finding their rhythm.
    /djw
  • Hello all; I'm not always a good schmoozer but this looks like a very good site for me. Most of my career and life have revolved around writing, even though I have an M.A. in something called International Political Economy. However, though I've traveled to Guatemala, Scandinavia and several countries in Europe, and have lived and worked in England, I've lived most of my life in Canada after all. It occurred to me at some point that perhaps I should see this country if I wanted to represent it, so I drove all the way to Tofino, B.C. and took my own good time doing it - with detours from the Trans-Canada to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park, then to Osoyoos and Kaslo, B.C. After that I went to work in Eastern Ontario, close to the Laurentians, then headed to Prince Edward Island and really took a good look at the Maritimes. I love Montreal but Toronto is also a good place to live and that's where I am now, though I admit there are many things I appreciate about small-town and rural life. I've also lived a few years in Northern Ontario, which to me is just as breathtakingly beautiful as the Rockies. Along the way I've catalogued my journey through written blogs and photos. Photography is a passion of mine also. I've worked as a journalist, translator, proofreader and copy editor as well as occasional PR person. My favourite work involves writing, though it's a constant struggle to survive since the pay is usually low. I've received bursaries from the Ontario Arts Council and a scholarship from the Humber School of Creative and Performing Arts, for the Creative Writing Course, so I must have talent and potential, but it can be discouraging not to get consistent monetary rewards. Sometimes I really need the extra motivation of peers, so this is a very good place to start. Most of my published or produced work - a novel, short stories and theatrical monologue - is in French. However, my yet-to-be-published latest novel is in English and I am shopping for an agent. It's a road novel set in Canada and was the product of the Humber online creative writing programme, which was recommended to me by a friend. My mentor was Joan Barfoot and it was a very positive if demanding experience. I'm still putting some finishing touches on it as I await publishing opportunities before starting major revisions. I'm a diehard feminist. It's likely this has not done me any favours professionally but the more I look at the world, the more it confirms that I have a point. My first novel, La Delphinée, is about the peregrinations of two women - Nadja and Matilda - who were originally described by male authors but escape from the page and start describing them instead. Nadja is the surrealist muse of André Breton and Matilda, the third wife of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. "Crazy" Najda analyzes the "normal" world around her outside the asylum, making scathing observations about politics, literature, psychology and National Culture. Her best friend in the asylum is Jesus, whom she views as her adoptive mother because he's such a nice guy. Meanwhile, Matilda dutifully grows up from her poverty-stricken childhood in rural Chile, populated with supernatural sightings of La Virgen who is a Model to Us All, into a lovely wife that the Great National Poet Neruda compares to a volcano. But sometimes, the volcano is tired... And meets Jesus, who is Such a Nice Guy, and does all the cooking (even if it all tastes like chicken) and serves her tea. So she runs away with him. Bye bye Pablo. The ISBN is 2-89423-063-X. Here's a link to the publisher. The book is in French so this page is, as well: http://www.livres-disques.ca/prise_parole/products/product_detail.c.... My second-favourite literary accomplishment is the publication of my short story Oomblaug Day, in Parsec Magazine (which I think is now out of circulation). It's a science fiction-horror-comedy tale about life under the rule of the zombies, fifty years after they first came out of the graveyards. I'd love to see it republished or produced as a television show in something like the Outer Limits. My third-favourite accomplishment (though it's a close tie with Oomblaug Day) is a theatrical monologue I wrote for the Great Canadian Theatre Company, produced for the 10 x 10 event at the National Arts Centre. Mine was in French, one of ten such ten-minute monologues in both official languages, but I have translated it because it was based on Shakespeare after all: The Awakening of Sycorax.
  • Hi everyone! I'm glad I found she writes :) So .. I'm Steena. Currently I live in Calgary, AB. I say currently only because we've moved basically across the country for my husband's job since the early days of our marriage. He's somewhat settled in a new job (went from Pastor to working in Oil - go figure) which means we're actually living on one city for longer than two years :) Anyways ... I'm a mother of 3 girls and work at a job where I get to write during the day - how sweet is that! I have one book published. 5 years ago I decided to fill my hours by writing. By pure fluke I entered my first contest ever and won a publishing contract. Can you imagine my surprise! I look back at that book now and shake my head .. I knew nothing about writing :) I'm editing my latest WIP, hoping to have it ready to query by Christmas. The only thing really stopping me is the synopsis. Why is it I had no problem creating my query but the synopsis scares me silly? LOL I look forward to getting to know you all on here!
  • Thank you for this, Lily (or do you prefer Lily Iona?). I'm guessing that your words will be inspirational to new writers who struggle with finding their rhythm. /djw
  • Hello fellow Canadians! I've been living in the San Francisco Bay area since 1963, but I was born in Edmonton, raised in Calgary, gave birth to my son in Vancouver, and lived in Toronto for two years as a wild young woman. Now I'm a tamer but still wild older woman whose roots are very much in Canada where all of my family still live, including my son (he calls Christina Lake, B.C. his home), and up until two years ago, my 101 year-old mum. I've just completed my fourth novel, Curva Peligrosa, and Stephen Fraser, an agent with the Jennifer deChiara Agency in NY, claims that he loves it. Yesterday he sent it out to five houses that requested a look, so I've sent up smoke signals to the publishing gods and am hoping to finally get a book out there. Otherwise, I've published extensively over the years: poetry, short stories, travel pieces, book reviews, personal essays, etc. (if you're interested, please visit my blog at http://lilyionamackenzie.wordpress.com/). I'm hoping that if Curva Peligrosa sells, so too will my other books, which fit the category of offbeat literary. For over 20 years, I've taught rhetoric and comp to freshmen at the University of San Francisco. I also am vice president of the part-time union there. But I still manage to write a minimum of an hour a day, and it's amazing how much I've produced on that schedule. My husband, a psychoanalyst and emeritus faculty at SF State University (he taught the 19th & 20th Century novel), has been a terrific support, recognizing that if I don't get in my writing each day, I'm distracted. For fun? I love to work out at the gym. I'm also an ardent gardener. But the arts in all their configurations are what feed my body and soul. My husband shares these interests, and we've made pilgrimages to many of the major museums in Canada, Europe, and the US. Whenever I have a chance, I dabble myself in painting and sculpting and have taken numerous art classes over the years. Enough for now. I look forward to learning more about all of you.